Falklands Conflict 30th Anniversary

Suffolk Aviation Heritage Group is hosting a Falklands Conflict 30th Anniversary Day on Sunday May 6th 2012 at its Aviation Display Centre near Ipswich. We are keen to theme the event as closely to the conflict as we can and would therefore like to hear from anyone with historically relevant vehicles, equipment or kit (from either side) who would wish to take part. We don't charge to attend our events, we have a nice little fenced off area that holds up to fifty show vehicles and we offer a pretty good cup of tea in our shop.

Other non Falklands Conflict vehicles of the period also welcome.:)

Initial contact through this thread please.

Hi Andy

I can certainly source an operational Clansman radio station with all of the radios in service in 1982 - vehicle wise I have a French radio truck that was in use at the time but I don't think it would be appropriate to the subject of this event - a dismounted station might be more appropriate.

I expect to be there on Sunday so we can have a chat then?

Regards

Iain

73 de G0OZS

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

It's the former RAF / USAF radio site at Foxhall Heath about 4 miles due east of Ipswich town centre. Nearest major road is A12(N) - take 1st exit at 1st roundabout heading North from the A14 junction. My vehicle is French and a bit old so I expect to just bring the radios (the original masts are still there ... )

Regards

Iain

Hi

It's the former RAF / USAF radio site at Foxhall Heath about 4 miles due east of Ipswich town centre. Nearest major road is A12(N) - take 1st exit at 1st roundabout heading North from the A14 junction. My vehicle is French and a bit old so I expect to just bring the radios (the original masts are still there ... )

Regards

Iain

thanks for that, didn't know it was there, i used to race stock cars years ago at the stadium ,

• 5 months later...

Dear All

I have now been issued with the special event callsign GB2CRF ("Clansman Radio Falklands") for a station to be operated by the Felixstowe & District Amateur Radio Society at the Suffolk Aviation Heritage Society's museum at the former RAF Foxhall Heath on Sunday 6th May in support of the SAHS's "Falklands 30th Anniversary" event.

It is hoped that the station will be on air from 11am until 4pm local time on the HF bands, 4m and 6m. HF frequencies will be determined by conditions on the day although we are likely to include 3.615MHz AM and 7.1875MHz USB at some point during the day. We will monitor 51.75MHz on 6m FM and 70.475MHz on 4m FM and would welcome HF spots called in on those frequencies (as the Clansman HF sets have frequency setting switches and it is a pain to tune the bands!).

We will operate both a base and a field station on the museum site.The base station is expected to have an RT322 250-watt base station using the RAF Foxhall heath masts and a pair of RT353 VHF transceivers using ground spike or EVHF antennas for 4m and 6m. The field station is expected to have an RT320 HF and a RT352 VHF radio using Clansman field antennas. Depending on the space available other 1982 radio and telephone equipment may be on display as well.

A special QSL card will be available via the RSGB Bureau to stations working GB2CRF on the 6th of May.

I am not the event organiser - just sorting the radio side - but I understand that there is room for more vehicles and although 1982 UK or Argentine use is desirable there may now be some flexibility.

PM me here for further details.

Iain

73 de G0OZS

• 1 month later...