Wartime Ford trucks; what types?

ajmac

Still being on the case as to the manufacturer of my Loyd carrier, I would like to know what other trucks ford produced during the war which were based on the prewar 7V chassis, the early loyds were built on 7v chassis direct from the 7V production line and as such had all the holes for the truck which were not used in the Loyd application. When Ford and Wolseley began mass production the chassis were Manufactured to a more simple and vehicle specific spec, at least the front crossmember was! question arrises as the 7v didn't have a bracket riveted on each chassis rail just behind the engine crossmember, nor does my project, but my other Loyd does have the bracket as did Bob Grundys Loyd.....it isn't used on the Loyd but why bother fitting it if it wasn't used by something that used the same chassi? I will try and get a photo.

Still being on the case as to the manufacturer of my Loyd carrier, I would like to know what other trucks ford produced during the war which were based on the prewar 7V chassis, the early loyds were built on 7v chassis direct from the 7V production line and as such had all the holes for the truck which were not used in the Loyd application. When Ford and Wolseley began mass production the chassis were Manufactured to a more simple and vehicle specific spec, at least the front crossmember was! question arrises as the 7v didn't have a bracket riveted on each chassis rail just behind the engine crossmember, nor does my project, but my other Loyd does have the bracket as did Bob Grundys Loyd.....it isn't used on the Loyd but why bother fitting it if it wasn't used by something that used the same chassi? I will try and get a photo.

Maybe they were to do with jigging during manufacture of the chassis.

Edited by Richard Farrant

This is the item:

It is hot riveted in place two in the top, two in the bottom, there is an identical item on the other chasis rail. On an original 7V and on my Loyd (1944) there are no plates or holes drilled for rivets in this location so they were never fitted. The plates are of similar thickness to the chassis rail steel. They are fitted on Bobs and on my other Loyd wreck (1943 / 44), ths plate is not shown in the parts book or manuals, so I guess it is for another truck.... a Ford WOT3?

PS. Hope you don't mind me using your photo Bob, you posted it on another thread.

LC10.jpg

Edited by ajmac