Little Easton on the Home Front. 26th-27th May, 2012

Chris Warne

Saturday 26th & Sunday 27th May, 2012

Little Easton, Nr Great Dunmow, Essex.

The plan, which is coming together very nicely, is to 'time warp' Little Easton back to Spring 1944, with the events centred around The Stag pub, where participants will be able to exhibit vehicles, camp & setup displays in the 8 acre field. We have already secured the village hall for a Saturday night dance, with 'Texas Tommy' supplying the music. Sunday will see a dedication at the village War Memorial, and we're hoping to secure the cricket pitch for a baseball match in the afternoon.

Once again, we will be running tours of the remains of RAF Gt Dunmow throughout the weekend.

The displays area will be accessible for camping from the Friday, and whilst the theme is Home Front in 1944, there will be designated areas for post-war and non-Military vehicles, although there will certainly be an AAF 'flavour' to the weekend, for obvious reasons.

Entry to the event will be completely free of charge, although donations for nominated veteran/military charities would be appreciated. The Saturday night dance will be by ticket only, for which there will be a charge, and the funds raised from this event will go towards helping us establish an airfield museum at RAF Gt Dunmow.

In addition to the above, we also hope to setup sentry points on the road through Little Easton, with passing vehicles requested to make a donation, the Austin 7 owners club attending, a history display about RAF Gt Dunmow, WI cake/teas stall - all being discussed but not confirmed yet. In effect, we're planning to get the entire village involved and completely turn the clocks back 68 years.

Little Easton was the nearest village to RAF Great Dunmow, where the 386th BG (M), 9th AAF, aka 'The Crusaders' were based from late 1943. The Stag pub was the local watering hole for the 386th, so a fitting central point for the weekend.

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd check in to let you know all is on target for North Thames IMPS 'Little Easton on the Home Front' on the 26th & 27th May. John Blackman from CMV rated it highly when he joined us for the day at the inaugural event last year, and with more participants booked in, this year looks like it will be even busier. After all the rain of the past weeks, the ECEWF is indicating that Summer might finally arrive on the 25th May! :nut:

It's free entry all weekend, and if you want to come along with your MV or Display, you'll be warmly welcomed. Get in touch very soon to get some space allocated, else turn up on the day for 'first come, first served' pitch allocation.

trying not to be a party pooper but went to little eastern last year for mv show ,suffice to say wont be going again!:cry:

What happened - i hope you will let us all know after a statement like that?

Last year it was just a local IMPS area rally, but based on feedback we got from most (seems not all?) who attended, and particulary John at Classic Military Vehicle mag, we decided to try and expand the event.

What happened - i hope you will let us all know after a statement like that?

Last year it was just a local IMPS area rally, but based on feedback we got from most (seems not all?) who attended, and particulary John at Classic Military Vehicle mag, we decided to try and expand the event.

Hi Griff66 how was the bunker bash this weekend . we went up to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre this year so missed the bash,

please tell us the problem at little easton as thats next on our list steve

I Did the Little Easton show last year …Ok it had a few gremlins but nothing that any show would have in its first year.. I would be attending again this year but a Friend’s Wedding is getting in the way.. :blush:

I know that the Airfield tours organised by Chris went down a treat and am glad that they seem to be on the itinerary again this year…:D Best of British with this again Chris and sorry I won’t be able to attend …

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willysmbdigibeta/page24/

3 or 4 pages of shots from the show inc the Airfield tours ..

it just felt bit to much car boot sale/ village raffle than mv show , not a lot of military vehicles hope it gets better in years to come.

I'm very pleased you said that. You're right and I agree 100%, there was a plant stall and some kind of tombola, which left several of us speechless as they were not condusive to the weekend we had expected. We know why they had turned up, but rest assured it will be a completely military theme this year, and i know we'll have more military vehicles and displays attending this year.

the weather is looking promising for the weekend too, so hopefully it will be much busier than last year.

We need to remember that this started out as a local MV group 'annual weekend camp', but it's such a great venue, with ww2 history all around it, we've tried to expand the facilities and attraction, so there's another event for enthusiasts to come along to, should thry wish. We're not trying to turn this into a Damyns Hall or Bunker Bash, it's a small event where like-minded enthusiasts can get together for a weekend, and be as involved or as relaxed as they want.

Hopefully we'll see some of you there. :)

hope it works out well ,i got the impression it was members of one of the organisers extended family that were trying to sell/raffle load of old tat! deserves to be good as the site is ok.

Err, well, yes, kind of.......

Never to be repeated!

bunker bash excellent ,one thing maybe for next year possibly worth looking at is pay ya money to get into show which could include half price entry to bunker?

Don't want to hijack the thread but as you asked.. The Bunker Bash is a completely seperate attraction to the Nuclear Bunker, it just happens to be on top of it. The site owner does give free entry to the Bunker for all exhibitors.