david_steps

Question

I have recently purchased ad registered a L/R series 3 ffr. My first project and really hoping it could be something different, rather than plain old nato green that sat around a base as a run around. I Enquired to deep cut and have a merlin print out. I thought this would tell me if she went abroad? But the only info both provide are who she served with?

Can any one shed some light how i find out more? Would the report tell me if she went abroad or do i now have to delve deeper through the units and dates she was with then? I have tried typing the units into army page to see where they could have been between dates but with no joy. Help?

9 answers to this question

When I bought mine, I found (after months of searching the internet) an Order of Battle of the division to which my vehicle might have been attached in the 1980s. But it does take some searching. Quite a bit of information came from old boys and reunion sites.

Thank you :-) i will try harder then lol. I walked round war and peace for hours trying to perhaps find similiar land rovers associated with regiments mentioned on the deepcut report but again no joy.

Can you post the info from the cast document?

I have found some info which may be of use, but doesn't tell you if the vehicle served overseas, only that it belonged to units who were serving overseas during the periods stated. It may have spent all its life as a hack at Ternhill.

1 QLR 84. Paderborn. 33 Armoured Brigade.

1 RWF 84/85. Falklands. 143 Brigade.

2 R Welsh 93. Fermanagh. 160 Brigade.

3 Mercian 96/97. Hong Kong. 143 Brigade.

Note that some of the units on the card didn't exist as those units on the dates shown;

e.g. 3 Mercian in 96 was still Staffordshire Regt.

Also stumbled across this tonight, looks useful.

http://british-army-units1945on.co.uk/default.aspx

1 QLR 84. Paderborn. 33 Armoured Brigade.

Missed that one. I do believe 1 QLR took over Alanbrooke Barracks from 15/19H and I heard that the Paderborn posting was never the same again: spoilt it for the whole garrison. Every bar placed out of bounds and so on.

Ihttp://british-army-units1945on.co.uk/default.aspx

wow that is some site - thanks for that

sadly it's also spoiled the fun! I felt really pleased with myself having visited 2 regimental museums (at great £) and found they shared sucessive postings, so my ferret must have been at that barracks for its life.

Instead that website tells you in nanoseconds - where's the sense of achievement in that :cry: