Ferret fluid flywheel oil

Rick W

Going to do the oils on the ferret this weekend, would I be correct in thinking that modern day LHM fluid is required for the fluid flywheel? How much does it take and what is the procedure for topping up, I know you move the flywheel round until you get to the top up point, thats as far as I have got. Scuse the basic questions but Ive temporarily lost my manual!

Hi Rick,

When you ask about fluid type you are reopening a much debated subject. Sorry, but I do not know what LHM is?

Some say if you use anything except the original military designated fluid all will be lost. Others claim any good mineral based hydraulic fluid of the correct weight is OK, around ISO 13 with ISO 15 typically being available and used.

If you do a search here or on the Ferret Forums there will be no shortage of information.

As to filling, there are 2 plugs 180 degrees apart on the coupling. The hex is 1 inch if memory serves me. Using the special tool that attaches to the plug and prevents dropping it into the housing is recommended. They are commonly available. It fills to the bottom of the threaded plug hole.

My knowledge is well short on most others on this list. If someone tells you I am incorrect, I probably am.

Good Luck,

Regards,

Bob