Request for Identification of Military Vehicle

Arran

Dear All

I would dearly love to find out the identity of the vehicle shown in the attached photo - as part of my family tree research project.

I was told many years ago that my father was out in Burma during WWII with the RAF. He was apparently serving as an ambulance driver - as his health sadly prevented him from fulfilling his dream of training to be a pilot.

However, I have no evidence that the attached photo was actually taken in Burma, this is just a possible clue but could turn out to be a red herring!

Look forward to hearing from anyone who can enlighten me. Also, if you are able to confirm if it is a WWII vehicle, it would help to clarify if this is actually a photo of my father - as it could also be my grandfather or great-uncle, depending on the date - I love a good mystery!

Many thanks,

Arran

Photo - Military Vehicle.jpg

It would appear to be a Canadian Ford or Chevrolet with No 13 cab, probably 30cwt or 3ton. It is late rather than early WW11 as it carries the white star marking. It could be just about anywhere but judging by the clothing Burma is certainly a possibility. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks very much for your answers.

I wasn't sure about it being Canadian as I'd read somewhere that they tended to paint the stars slightly lopsided on purpose, whereas the US stars were painted with one point facing straight up?

Any thoughts on the serial number and upward-facing arrow? My limited knowledge, following some web-surfing suggests that the arrow simply denotes a military vehicle and the first two numbers after that would be the year that the army took ownership of the vehicle - so in this case 1944?

Any general info about this photo, be it comments about the vehicle, clothing, poss location etc. will be much appreciated!

Thanks again