Dodge WC Running Problems

Dodge-It

When standing the Dodge runs well both at idle and when reving, but on road test after about 1/4 to 1/3ml it seems to drop to 2 or3 cylinders. Last twice one when pulled up at junction and second time when stopped to turn round.

Once engine allowed to cool for 5 mins it can be started and ticks over ok again while parked.

I am thinking condencer or coil.

Any idears welcome.

A new condenser, clean of the plugs, and so on wouldn't hurt.

Be aware that original Dodge fuel hoses are well past their sell-by date, and so are the fuel pump diaphragms. At the very least I'd drain your main fuel filter ans see what came out, maybe buy some new hoses and a fuel pump kit, or new pump. It is just as likely to be fuel as electrical.

HT leads and new dizzy cap, could be a worn rotor arm. Does the coil get hot? And don't forget the old chesnut! Frank Jolley does a very good electronic ingnition, easy to fit and nothing shows. He will insist on knowing the ins and outs of the vehicle though!

Is it 6 or 12 volt by the by? Dodges have a habit of runnig till everything is worn out then stopping dead. Most vehicles do at least give you a warning. Though as you will have found the old girls pull nearly as well on 4 as 6.

Edited by Tony B

Just a thought. Is the heat sheild for the fuel pump in place?

Yep Heat shield in place.

Tried it again today after fitting a spare condencer I had, thought I had solved it but after running ok in the garage for 1/2hr including running it hard took it out, only got the few hundred yards again and it went back to bag of hammers.

Had to push it back so kicked it and locked garage door

Yep Heat shield in place.

Tried it again today after fitting a spare condencer I had, thought I had solved it but after running ok in the garage for 1/2hr including running it hard took it out, only got the few hundred yards again and it went back to bag of hammers.

Had to push it back so kicked it and locked garage door

Don't despair! Two out three condensers are ***** usless from the start! My suggestion by an electronic from Frank Jolley fit and forget.

The whole engine runs genrally better, no constant silly niggles, cures the Dodge lurch. Check the condition of the Distributor, information can be found, here: http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/CHAP3.PDF

Edited by Tony B