Devon Air Rally,Dunkeswell airport,

There will be a fly in for vintage/homebuilt aircraft Saturday and sunday (13th-14th August) Anyone with a military vehicle would be most welcome to come along, and it's free.

The airfield management are very keen to get the military vehicle owners to be part of this, and future events.

Come on, how many places can you go to and have a W.W.II airfield to play on!!!!

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Glasser

That's the same weekend as Prestons VJ weekend at Cobbaton -- quite a few of us locals will be heading off to that. Pity we didn't know earlier, Dunkerswell is a lot nearer

Happy to put the event on the West Somerset MVT website if someone could PM me with more details please

There's an event at the nieghboring Smeatharpe Airfield the following weekend, formally RAF Upottery of Band of Brothers fame that is being put on by the South West Airfields Heritage Trust. Go to www.southwestairfields.co.uk for more details and a good overview of both Dunkerswell and Upottery air fields

Plenty of the old wartime buildings still standing at both fields, but Dunkerswell is the only active airfield on the Blackdowns

We did try the same thing last year, but as it was'nt advertised as a military vehicle meet so it was only by word of mouth, that seems to have happened this time also.

As I said, next year the airfield management want to put on a dedicated military vehicle thing. I'll get more details and post them when I do.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Visited today, exhibiting the Landy, mate from Bath brought his Mk4 Cortina. Some interesting aircraft, but needs more vehicles, especially vintage ones. I can recommend the Mega Breakfast in the cafe. And the Dunkeswell Memorial Museum is just across the road.

Paul, sorry to have missed you, I did'nt go until the Sunday, though precious little in the way of vehicles turned up then. They do hope to get a proper date and set up for next year with a lot more advertising..(so I've been informed, we shall see.)

You should have come yesterday mate, The wind was very gusty and across the runway.. ground loops were the order of the day resulting in there being serious damage to a visiting Cessna Bird Dog, and nearly a similar thing with a Bucker Jungmann, I think he only suffered slight damage to a wing tip. All the others handled the conditions very well.

Nice beat up at the end of the day by the B.O.B. memorial flight's Spitfire and Hurricane.

Next week is the do with a lot more vehicles, military and classic at Smeatharpe Airfield. You might like to give that a try.

Jeff

Paul, sorry to have missed you, I did'nt go until the Sunday, though precious little in the way of vehicles turned up then. They do hope to get a proper date and set up for next year with a lot more advertising..(so I've been informed, we shall see.)

You should have come yesterday mate, The wind was very gusty and across the runway.. ground loops were the order of the day resulting in there being serious damage to a visiting Cessna Bird Dog, and nearly a similar thing with a Bucker Jungmann, I think he only suffered slight damage to a wing tip. All the others handled the conditions very well.

Nice beat up at the end of the day by the B.O.B. memorial flight's Spitfire and Hurricane.

Next week is the do with a lot more vehicles, military and classic at Smeatharpe Airfield. You might like to give that a try.

Jeff

Smeatharpe/Upottery is one of the events on my calendar for next weekend, lots to choose from, but Upottery is closest.