One for Clive

sirhc

Clive,

I read your article in the EMLRA newsletter the other day with interest, as I have the kit pictured below:

IR Set Small.jpg

I also have the UHB for the Chieftain ARV, so was aware of the Chieftain application, but I did not know they were fitted to Ferrets too. Do you have any more information on the installation in the Ferret? I'd like to know where all the bits go!

Cheers,

Chris

Chris the installation is covered in EMER TELECOMMUNICATIONS B460 - B469 which is fairly extensive. Do you want to know how to connect it? Yes it was designed for Chieftain. I have got another set of EMERS listing it in B432 which seems a section on seismic alarms but EMER TELS was terribly abused in that there were not enough sections & a bit like RN vehicle number plates the numbers got reused & some sections don't fit in with EMERs compiled/updated at different bases at different times. As for fitting on Ferret somewhere I have a pic of one fitted in GW1 I'll look out for.

Clive,

Connecting it up should be easy if I can find some cables. I assume there is a mount for the detector stalk which I don't have, so it would be great to see what that is supposed to look like. Please post the Ferret photo if you can find it!

Cheers,

Chris

Chris

There was no specific mount, the diagram shows it being screwed straight onto the turret. So presumably there is no socket on yours & therefore no wiring. The wiring between units is quite straight forward if you wanted to patch something up I can give you the connections.

I can't see on your control box, is it push buttons or the later mod with toggle switches? The alarm unit had a vibrating buzzer, this became obsolete, so they had to fit a seperate buzzer & vibrator, this would be felt as the unit was worn by attaching "a flexible ballata strap" whatever that is.

After the buzzer mod, there was aother mod as an earth wire had been omitted on the first mod! Also there was an error with 2 wires being transposed! The EMERs give a lot of testing & faultfinding including components & PCB layout, voltage & oscilliscope readings.

It does say it was specific to Chieftain, which is why I was so delighted to see it on a Ferret. The trouble is I cannot see where I saw it. The article was written 5 years ago & in the original Windscreen articles I would usually put a list of references to give authority to what was written & a source for others to find more info. But one can't put everything, so looking back I am stumped for the moment. Two thoughts that it is on some GW1 video footage or it was in a rather crudely produced resume of our weapons, Iraqs weapons, sandflies etc done by the Joint Intelligence unit although not too inspiring as some pages were printed upside down! But I don't think I have that manual anymore. But I am 100% certain that at least one Ferret was so equipped, but it would be nice to know the evidence which escapes me at the moment I'm afraid.

Clive,

I have 2 of the control boxes, both are the later toggle type. The one in the picture has mod 1 crossed off the dataplate. My detector does have a plug on the bottom, it obviously plugs in and then screws on to something. I need to find a Chieftain and go and have a climb on it! I have seen a photo of the boxes fitted inside a Chieftain turret, so I know the brackets I have are Chieftain too.

Thanks for the info,

Chris

Neil,

It is an infra-red detector set. There are 3 detectors in the stalk, which is connected to a control panel and a buzzer. You can switch the sensors on and off to determine which direction the IR beam is coming from.

Chris