Upgrading oil bath air cleaners for turbo use

gritineye

Is using the usual oil bath air filter fitted to British MVs with a modern high power turbo diesel a good idea?

Thinking increased air flow could lead to the oil being lifted and so cause the engine to burn it and run away.

Where there any improvements like paper filters fitted in them?

A good point Gritineye. I suppose with enough room under the bonnet it would be possible to fit a canister type filter off a modern vehicle as long as the engine size is roughly the same. Probably more effective too. I suppose it depends on how much you're bothered by how it looks. Much better than running on your own oil! :nono:

Also an oil bath air cleaner is a bit of an overkill for UK road use. A modern replacement element in the original housing is a good idea, and should help with the increased air flow. How about a K&N bolt on induction filter? I replaced my oil bath filter on my series 3 with one and the old 2 and a quarter was much more lively. Much increased induction noise though.

MT

• 2 weeks later...
would it be possible to use thicker oil in the filters to stop the turbo having it for breakfast ? say some scammell rear diff oil ? or evan grease ?

Poor engine has to be able to start up as well. Without turbo spinning I think it would struggle to suck much air through a thick oil or grease bath.

It would also create a huge mess if anything went wrong. The time I put my Land Rover upside down it ingested oil from the air bath into the engine so wouldn't start until I removed the plugs, blew out the oil and tried again. Hate to think what it would've been like with grease.