Centurion id

jpg1982

At work we have 4 centurions. One is an avre with a dozer blade which is currently being restored, and is progressing nicely, but the original military reg has been lost:(. Is there anyway we could trace the history of it?

We also have an ARV which under the paint I have found was called MISTER X and carries a reg number of 06 ZR 89. There are another 2 cents but without turrets, which I have been told were used as training vehicles? One carries the reg 89 BA 82 the other im still trying to find. I will post some photos up later on if they are of interest to anyone.

At work we have 4 centurions. One is an avre with a dozer blade which is currently being restored, and is progressing nicely, but the original military reg has been lost:(. Is there anyway we could trace the history of it?

We also have an ARV which under the paint I have found was called MISTER X and carries a reg number of 06 ZR 89. There are another 2 cents but without turrets, which I have been told were used as training vehicles? One carries the reg 89 BA 82 the other im still trying to find. I will post some photos up later on if they are of interest to anyone.

Do show some pics.

Nice pics! 89BA82 was an ARV in earlier days judging by the fixings on the glacier plate, one for the rarely used crane jib, and the square section for the pushing block. It could have been used a a "wedge" ie a turretless driver training vehicle. 00SP37 was also an ARV/wedge or both could have been tugs used on gunnery ranges.

It may be of interest that about 10 years ago I finished a Centurion register, and located, (I didn't see all of them!), just over 100 Centurions at various locations in the UK. Some were runners, some definitely were not! Three were at Manby as I recall, the two above and 04ZR 89. Information suggests all three came from DERA Shoeburyness Gunnery trials unit, now long gone, which suggests they were all tugs.

Thanks for all of the information. I knew the cents had been at Manby a while but not quite that long. Some parts have been removed off of them to help the restoration of our fourth cent the AVRE 165 which is coming along nicely now:-D. We are trying to get it out in a few weeks as a display piece for a show at the venue. If and when we do i will get some photos of it.