RE D6 Variants

Example of a D6C and towed, cable operated scraper. The machine was also fitted with a fibreglass style cab on occasion.

Always had a soft spot for this one as it was the first piece of plant on my Pom Cse. On its way out at that point as the training was split between the D6C and the D6D.

This one is visible from Wood field way just behind the wire.

Regards

Tim

plant 003 (600 x 450).jpg

Indeed Robin i am/was to put it correctly, still working in the engineer sphere but with a civi company. Can i take it that you have associations with same? Your recognition of the terminology would indicate so ( sorry to the rest if it was obscure)Regards Tim

Speaking of terminology, I take it by Woodfield Way, you mean outside the Ponderosa. Captain Alf Smiths offices?

Certainly outside the ponderossa but have to confess i am not on first name terms with the tennant :-D Not actually been in for a while now...........plant ops being superior beings tend not to break things..............if we do we just bury them and ignore :blush:

Regards

Tim

Certainly outside the ponderossa but have to confess i am not on first name terms with the tennant :-D Not actually been in for a while now...........plant ops being superior beings tend not to break things..............if we do we just bury them and ignore :blush:

Regards

Tim

Can't say I've been there recently, either. Capt Smith was O.C. Fields during my time there (1990/4) along with Dave Clement as his WO1. Is the D6 still there? I'd heard it had all been closed down. Plant training being done at Brompton and Bassingbourne these days, now that they have JCB's and it is an all arms thing.

Like everything else, I guess todays POMs are not the same quality as they used to be.

Can't say I've been there recently, either. Capt Smith was O.C. Fields during my time there (1990/4) along with Dave Clement as his WO1. Is the D6 still there? I'd heard it had all been closed down. Plant training being done at Brompton and Bassingbourne these days, now that they have JCB's and it is an all arms thing. Like everything else, I guess todays POMs are not the same quality as they used to be.
I can say the ponderossa and the training fields are alive and well and just as soggy, D6 still present. Ponderossa is classed as part of brompton any way. Last i heard of Bassingbourne was the A1 Cse being run thier for a while as they were landscaping the whole place so it was less flat for infantry trg. ( thats where i did my A1) But i assumed that was all finished now. Used to do some TA stuff at Waterbeach but that was ADR orientated. I dont know if they do all arms stuff at the field garages, possible i suppose as thier are quite a few different cap badges to be seen at Brompton.Re quality of POMS, the actuall operating is essentially the same but the mech side is very short in comparison, even plant section commanders cse has lost its "T" pay. More of a parts swapping scenario these days, change the whole gearbox and send away for actual repair. Regards Tim