Bedford MJ

marmon

Question

9 answers to this question

Hello mate. Here are the TP's for the Bedford MJ with Good Year Radial tyres.

On Road:

Front: 58 lbf/in 2. Rear and spare: 87 lbf/in 2

Off Road:

Front: 44 lbf/in 2. Rear and spare: 65 lbf/in 2

Info taken from AESP 2320-H-100-601 Jan 2000.

80+ rear sounds very high for a vehicle in preservation typically running without a load...

??

It doesn't matter that a vehicle is in preservation. For the Good year tyres the OP was asking about, the TP's given are from the AESP and as such are the correct pressures for that tyre. It's not that high considering the size of the tyre and the weight of the vehicle. Artic tyres run at over 100psi.

Can someone with a Bedford manual help please I'm trying to find the on road tyre pressure for a MJ with Goodyear 12.00 x 20 bar grips.

Thanks

Hi Marmon,

I saw your other thread re. Tyre Pressures. As you have fitted these ex- Bed MJ Goodyear tyres to a SUMB, I am not at all sure you can use the recommended pressures from a MJ as there is quite a difference in vehicle weight between the two vehicles. Perhaps you should seek advice from your local tyre depot on this.

regards, Richard

It doesn't matter that a vehicle is in preservation. For the Good year tyres the OP was asking about, the TP's given are from the AESP and as such are the correct pressures for that tyre. It's not that high considering the size of the tyre and the weight of the vehicle. Artic tyres run at over 100psi.

The point was not that it's in preservation specifically, but that being in preservation means it's unlikely to be carrying a load of any significance. That may mean that the tyres would be over pressure for the weight on them, possibly causing loss of grip and uneven wear. The AESP pressures, I would have thought, would tend to assume the vehicle was laden much of the time.

For example, I tend to run my R type flatbed - always unladen - with the rears lower than the AESP pressures as it gives more even tyre wear, better tyre temperatures and better grip. Conversely my brother's J type ambulance, with a recommended pressure of around 40 psi IIRC, tends to be adjusted to 80 PSI when he's using it to carry a heavy load as at lower pressures the tyres overheat laden; 80 PSI still being well within the tyre manufacturer's maximum for those tyres of 110 PSI.

As Richard says, if the tyres are on a SUMB all bets are off anyway!

After having a word with my local tyre centre I have all my tyres at 80psi. Two years now & no problem with wear etc, 5000 miles & they still look as good as the spare. I think the higher pressure lowers fuel consumption. If I was to do some serious off roading I would probably half this. she weighs in just under 6000kg and has just breezed through the MOT.

Have fun

Regards Daniel