Teaching the past to the young

Smithy

I'm a Cub Scout leader at my local pack and after noticing that our pack night fell this year on the 6th June I felt that it was only right that we had a D-Day/WW2 themed evening.

So I arranged for six members of the Staffordshire Regimental Association to come in and talk to the children about D-Day/WW2 and also their own experiences of serving their country.

We were lucky enough to have one WW2 Veteran, 94-year-old George Parry, who was able to speak to the children vividly about landing in gliders at both Sicily and in Holland before being taken POW at Arnhem.

It was a great evening and we finished it with a mock up of a street party to show the children what took place at the end of the War. It certainly seemed to go down well and we will be looking to do the same again in the future.

Below are a few pictures. I hope this is of interest to some of you.

002-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

014.jpg

0151.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys, the night certainly seemed to go down really well with everyone.

well done ,I used to be a cub leader myself and it is always good to get interaction between the old and young

They seem to have taken it in better than if we were speaking to them about the subject, in fact it was the quietest they've been on a pack night for a long time! :-D

Scott

Came home from Normandy yesterday on the ferry and saw a veteran surrounded by kids, they were totally wrapped in what he was telling them, a great sight.

Quite possibly the best way for them to learn first hand what went on instead of sitting in the classroom all of the time!