Supacat MK3 - License requirements?

JoelH

Question

10 answers to this question

Hello,

I wasn't looking at the Dunsfold one in particular. It was just a query regarding the vehicle in general. They seem like a very sound useful vehicle, and likely a great deal more economical than other military vehicles.

You own something similar don't you R? What are your experiences with the vehicle?

Cheers,

Joel

Dear Community,

What license is required to drive a Supacat (MK3) on the road in the UK?

Does anyone have one road-registered in the UK?

Many Thanks,

Joel

I would have thought that a normal car licence would be sufficient I presume it weighs less than 3500 kg? It might be an advantage to have some kind of lessons on how the controls work.

Hello,

I wasn't looking at the Dunsfold one in particular. It was just a query regarding the vehicle in general. They seem like a very sound useful vehicle, and likely a great deal more economical than other military vehicles.

You own something similar don't you R? What are your experiences with the vehicle?

Cheers,

Joel

Military vehicles and fuel economy don't really go together (my experience) you could possibly buy an ex military quad bike that might be economical and cost less and be as useful.

I could not agree more regarding fuel economy and military vehicles, good suggestion regarding the quad - I wrongly though that you needed a motorbike license to ride a quad on UK roads - it turns out a car license suffices.

Edited by JoelH

Joel,

The collection that I manage has one of only 10 Mk 2A machines produced.

What are they like you ask.

The most common problem is people drive them way too fast off road to the point of being abusive. As they rely on the tyres alone for suspension "give" they are firm to drive.

The vehicle pitches up and down more and more violently the faster they are pushed, this is not a design flaw but one of the operators lack of skill.

I have found that the driver should maintain pressure away from themselves at all times, as the skid steer braking which is actuated by pulling one side of the handle bars towards you, come on fairly easily. What happens is as you go over a bump one has a natural tendency to flex you arms which will brake one side.

Frankly, as Mr Smith, a driving instructor many moons ago used to say, there are 3 envelopes during vehicle or equipment operation, the driver's ability, the vehicle's ability and that of the terrain. Break one of those envelopes and you are in trouble.

There is a need for speed exhibited by some people that is beyond comprehension.

We held a "ride and drive" event over a year ago, and while instructing a guest I told him to slow down repeated and then told him to stop, many times, in a louder and louder voice. He didn't, and as a result he hit a tree a knackered a tie rod end. Sadly the balance of his bank account was not indexed to his brain cells otherwise he would have been a genius.

He got off the machine and slagged it off something rotten in front of his mates, until I had enough and asked him where he had received his licence from.

Our Supacat is road registered (long story, all legal) and is driven occasionally on the road at full speed. It is a vehicle that is extraordinarily competant but has to be understood. At speed one should be careful with trailers, we had 2 FLPT and a Sankey daisy chained together and at higher speed a whip was induced to the Sankey at the back, again, lack of driver skill, as he didn't use his mirrors once. I was ahead of him in the convoy and watched this happen in my wing mirror. I slowed my speed down which slowed him down and sorted it out. I did review mirror operation with him afterwards.

As far as sheer grunt pulling power it is a superb bit of kit, we tow a single axle water tanker with ease fully loaded. See picture attached.

If driven with respect it is an awesome and very capable vehicle.

The picture of it on the trailer was at time of purchase, the other was at a show.

What else do you want to know?

R

water buffalo.jpg

BV et alia 164.jpg

100_5114.jpg

Edited by robin craig

Hello Robin,

Thanks for your information, I was after details about the vehicles handling - which you have discussed above. Seems it would be prudent to practice off-road with someone that knows what they are doing before taking the vehicle on the road.

Thanks for your assistance & the Images,

Joel

Joel,

Off road driving is becoming just all about speed these days and hence the problem. Most civies just drive flat out everywhere. No time to smell the Roses if you know what I mean.

Military vehicles were designed to do a job and supported by a maintenance hierarchy. In private hands WE do all the maintenance that is subsequent to the abuse. Reduce the abuse and you reduce the maintenance and expenditure.

Basic off road driving is a simple set of building blocks based on the understanding of the 3 envelopes described above. Learn and make mistakes and learn again, no real rocket science.

Robin