What colour RAF ammo boxes

Rick W

Hi Rick,

Can you elaborate further on which boxes you are referring? do you mean the boxes the ammo for aircraft was delivered in?.

If you are looking for info on the boxes it was delivered in I can probably help as I have some examples of original WWII RAF ammo cartons and bomb fuse crates.

Matt.

What colour would WW2 RAF ammo boxes be?

I once had a wartime 303 ammo box from a Bomber, and this was normal WD Kharki colour. I thought it was Army at first until I found out it's proper use.

Ah great stuff. Looking for info that the ammo boxes that the ammo was delivered to the aircraft, wooden boxes I presume. Mainly interested in the Browning and Hispano Suiza crates and markings for Spit and Hurricane ammo.

Once it stops raining I will go and get some pics. I don't have a 20mm crate but have seen them in bare wood with the markings stencilled in black IIRC.

Do remember a lot of ammo was actually US produced,I just picked up a 1941 cardboard carton for RAF .303 ammo made by Winchester.

Matt.

I have the samples that you see in the images if they are of any use?

I do also have a 20mm crate somewhere, but that will be buried in one of the vehicles.... I can dig it out, but it will take a while....

Regards

Ken