Modified and Insurances

Hi all sum time ago I read an article in regards to some classic car owners changing their engines for a bigger cc engine and that some insurances wanted an engineers report for the work before insurances was given. The article went on to say that this cud lead to some insurances not excepting the swap and that the vehicle who’d then have to go for a SVA Test and also that you may need to prove where you got the engine from . Who’d this mean that if you changed anything that was not fitted to the vehicle when it was manufactured it who’d invalidate your insurances?

This also cud lead to us not been allowed to change anything without having the vehicle SVA for insurances

As any one heard anything about this? :shocked:

Bill

If a vehicle has had a major modification, such as a diffrent engine, then the insurance company may ask for an independent enginners report. This happaned to me with my Dearly Beloved old Range Rover that had a 2.8 Isuzu engine. They then insured it happily. MOT's were standard.

From experience this varies fro insurance company to insurance company and what the changes/modifications are.

Some will want a full engineers report, pages and pages of stuff. Others want and "engineers report" which is an A4 piece of paper.

Some insurance companies just argue because they don't understand.

example 1

Brother had a VW Beetle in which we installed a slightly larger and more powerful engine (3.5 V8) and they wanted angineers report, which was no such thing just an A4 piece of paper filled out and signed by a friendly garage mechanic/mot tester.

Example 2

Other brother had a Ford 300e van, Jag rear axle, sequential semi auto, 5 litre tuned V8 and all they wanted was a piece of paper saying it had an approved security device fitted. No one would nick it and if they did they would not have got far, only had a 6 gallon tank giving it a range of 36 miles.

Example 3

I had a motorbike that was slightly modified, filters, up jetted carbs, expanion pipe, clip ons rear sets fairing etc. Told insurance company who did not care. Probably working on the fact that I would kill myself before I could make a claim.

From my experience insurance companies do not work on any form of logic and the best thing you can do is phone them up and speak to somebody, then confirm it in writing.

Mike