Ferret queries

Ken Wales

Question

Couple of queries with my Ferret MK2/3.

1. The Commanders seat came with a seat belt. Is this original equipment fitted when new or fitted during service or fitted after leaving army?

2. What type of aerial fits under the cap with chain. How long is the aerial and what would it be described as? (I understand it is a Type “C” Connector). Also the use of a Pineapple has been related to this fitting and I have obtained one of these but cannot see how it all relates. All the aerials I have seen for sale are the normal ones for the Clansman radios.

Aerial & CO2 tap.jpg

4 answers to this question

The seat belt was used later in service. It attached to the sides of the commander seat and also one attachment point on the sterling smg hanger behind the commander.

The screw cap covers a connector for a ground antenna. Not one that was mounted on the vehicle. In the photo you have a blanking plate covering where a clansman arial base would attach.

Cheers,

Andrew

Couple of queries with my Ferret MK2/3.

1. The Commanders seat came with a seat belt. Is this original equipment fitted when new or fitted during service or fitted after leaving army?

I don't remember any of my Ferrets having seat belts 1976 - 1980, but that proves nothing. In the same period I remember all (then new) CVR(T)s had seat belts, but nobody ever wore them: they just got tangled up and in the way.