Buying a vehicle from Northern Ireland

thedawnpatrol

Question

Hi Guys

Well some of you may have seen that nice 1943 Humber FWD for sale in Lisbern, well I have bought it and am planning on collecting it in a few weeks, I have a mad idea of driving it back via southern Ireland down to Wexford and ferry across to Fishguard, then home. A total trip of 400 miles !

Anyway, my question is this, a private seller, so cash on collection...............are there any legal issues i need to be awhere of ? it is road taxed in NI, it is MoT free.

Any taxes to pay ? I may be stupid, but..............................any advise chaps...............

Jules

8 answers to this question

hi, i bought a diamond t from n ireland. it still runs on its irish plates as i didnt want to change the history of the vehicle as it worked in ireland most of its life. all you have to do is go to your local dvla centre and change the ownership details, real easy to do as n ireland is part of the uk. mine came on the ferry from larne to stran raer in scotland where i picked it up with my low loader and then back to leeds. might be better for you to go to hollyhead, hope this helps. john.

I wish I had known I was in Lisburn last week and have family there I think if you can get it on the Belfast Liverpool ferry even though its a Freight line and takes ages take it.:-D The drive down to Dublin then across wales is slow and Looong :yawn:. Stranra is ok once you get off the coast road. If you need any help give me a P/M I could even take a few days away:cool2:

Thanks Morris, and Alec

Yes, will do the Belfast to Liverpool trip, then drive it down from there, there's always the good old RAC if i get stuck !

Alec, thank you for your offer, when I find it out I will certainly be in touch.

Cheers

Jules