Bedford powered Chevy

dog107

Richard,

wasn't TOO worried, re the lack of 'ball in flywheel',............except in the fact, as you say, all info I've seen in respect to Bedfords have all stated there SHOULD be said ball in flywheel;................did the later flywheel from the 214 not have this item, and could it be fitted into MW housing etc,......I'm guessing somewhen much later,......although, from the history of it, post demob, i've no record of anything being replaced. (it had REME rebuild in 1955, as per stamping on chassis data plate)

On another tack, would a 300 series (RL) lump, either pertol or derv fit under my bonnet ??, would you know............ :whistle:

Cheers.

Andy

...............did the later flywheel from the 214 not have this item, and could it be fitted into MW housing etc,......

On another tack, would a 300 series (RL) lump, either pertol or derv fit under my bonnet ??, would you know............ :whistle:

Andy,

Not sure whether there was a 214 flywheel that fits a 28hp. I replaced a 28 in an MW with an army rebuild 214 straight out of the box, dated about 1990. It was intended for a TK, probably RAF or RN because army did not have TK trucks with 214 fitted. It drops straight in with minor adjustments on throttle linkage, engine breather, top hose...EXCEPT, the flywheel housing was different, so I changed the housings over, also the flywheel because of a difference in diameter, so ended up with a 214 with 28hp flywheel and housing. The Brake horse power of a 28hp is about 72bhp, where as the 214, which is same capacity, is 100bhp. It makes powerful little truck, which will now hang on in top gear much longer, especially good for towing a trailer, which its owner wanted it done for.

A 300 petrol, or 330 diesel is much to big to go in and major surgery would have to be done, although it may be possible to put a 220 4 cylinder diesel in, but again it would need new engine mountings fitted to the chassis.

Andy,

Not sure whether there was a 214 flywheel that fits a 28hp. I replaced a 28 in an MW with an army rebuild 214 straight out of the box, dated about 1990. It was intended for a TK, probably RAF or RN because army did not have TK trucks with 214 fitted. It drops straight in with minor adjustments on throttle linkage, engine breather, top hose...EXCEPT, the flywheel housing was different, so I changed the housings over, also the flywheel because of a difference in diameter, so ended up with a 214 with 28hp flywheel and housing. The Brake horse power of a 28hp is about 72bhp, where as the 214, which is same capacity, is 100bhp. It makes powerful little truck, which will now hang on in top gear much longer, especially good for towing a trailer, which its owner wanted it done for

:-) Thanks for that, Richard.

Maybe's something to think about,.........long term ;-)

(at least I'd be able to keep up with those jimmys.................. :roll:)

Did you keep orig gearbox, and not need to chop and change engine mountings, etc.

Andy

Did you keep orig gearbox, and not need to chop and change engine mountings, etc.

Andy,

Original gearbox still fitted, and the flywheel / clutch housing was changed over so that original rear mountings could be retained. Front mounting still the same. From a quick look you would think it was the same engine, except rocker cover is different. Better oiling system to, with a full flow oil filter, if you get a late 214.

Thanks Richard;

certainly sounds like bringing the old girl more up to date in the useability stakes into days traffic.

not thinking of doing anything as drastic,.................yet, but how easy are these motors to get,..........and what sort of cash are we talking about for one. ??

All the best.

Andy

yet, but how easy are these motors to get,..........and what sort of cash are we talking about for one. ??

Andy,

This was about 8 years ago, doubt you will find a Army rebuild 214 now, so next best is to find a good engine and rebuild it. Think it was about £500 for the engine, which you could not rebuild for that price. They would be much more now.