Tyre protection

fv1609

Question

Last year I had two new tyres for the 1-Ton Cipher Trailer. It was a great shame as the original tyres had a good tread but became badly cracked. After a year of hunting for bargains, I relented & paid £450 to have two new tyres which on these split rims proved very difficult to separate.

Given that I have three trailers that have to be kept outdoors, I wonder what is the best protection against the sun & weather etc. I was trawling through the Caravan Club site and the advice was to cover the tyres "with a natural material eg Hessian, not plastic" Now why should that be? Before I do this would a liberal coating of tyre paint be worthwhile given that this seems to be a sort of "liquid rubber"?

6 answers to this question

Clive,

I think it is the UV rays that harm the rubber. You could make up some wood ply boards to fit under the lip of the mudguard to keep light off them. Also helps to keep the tyres off the ground. Some years ago, I think at Stoneleigh militaria, I bought a gallon of stuff that was ex-US military and for painting on tyres or any rubber products to prevent from aging.

Richard

I use Tyre Black, bought from the local motoring shop. Another of our guys is experimenting with builders 'bulk' bags draped over his tyres. (the type you might have sand or gravel delivered in by Travis Perkins) These are made from interwoven plastic strips so they can breathe.

As I understand it, UV breaks down the rubber so whatever you do needs to block sunlight.