Barometer uses

nz2

Question

Further to the series of questions Robin Craig is hosting regards longest serving MV and parts.

I was looking at a barameter to-day and the thought struck me as to its origin and history. Aside from a weather forecasting instrument, the same forum of instrument becomes an altimeter as per for aircraft use. From that came another question;

When using large calibre artillery pieces (land based guns) is there a piece in the equation of range finding that considers barometric pressure?

Doug

4 answers to this question

Further to the series of questions Robin Craig is hosting regards longest serving MV and parts.

I was looking at a barameter to-day and the thought struck me as to its origin and history. Aside from a weather forecasting instrument, the same forum of instrument becomes an altimeter as per for aircraft use. From that came another question;

When using large calibre artillery pieces (land based guns) is there a piece in the equation of range finding that considers barometric pressure?

Doug

The (not so) humble barometer has two uses in Artillery circles:

1) Surveying. The trusty Baromec is accurate to less than a metre under normal conditions, and you will get clearly different readings from table-top and floor level.

2) Accurate gunnery requires the knowledge of the precise location of gun and target, the range tables (corrected for barrel wear) for each gun in use, and the air density, wind velocities at various altitudes, temperature, pressure and humidity. For that they have the trusty meteorologist with sounding balloons (a free-flying balloon carrying a radio transmitter and various instruments, thermometer, barometer and a radar reflector so you can track the thing (during WW2, LORAN post-WW2, and a GPS receiver to the modern ones) . (The locating troop will also need survey and weather data in order to locate enemy guns for counterbattery purposes.)

Chris.

The (not so) humble barometer has two uses in Artillery circles:

1) Surveying. The trusty Baromec is accurate to less than a metre under normal conditions, and you will get clearly different readings from table-top and floor level.

2) Accurate gunnery requires the knowledge of the precise location of gun and target, the range tables (corrected for barrel wear) for each gun in use, and the air density, wind velocities at various altitudes, temperature, pressure and humidity. For that they have the trusty meteorologist with sounding balloons (a free-flying balloon carrying a radio transmitter and various instruments, thermometer, barometer and a radar reflector so you can track the thing (during WW2, LORAN post-WW2, and a GPS receiver to the modern ones) . (The locating troop will also need survey and weather data in order to locate enemy guns for counterbattery purposes.)

Chris.

Thank you Chris for the information.

I recalled reading something of the effects of air pressure on artillery some time ago, but was not familar with all the possable influences in a round not scoring on target.

Doug