Paul Mayo - Lancia Commercials - Ireland and UK

I've arrived at this site as I am researching the Lancia commercials used in the UK in the 1920s and 30s. I realise now that many of the buses that were used were based on ex-military chassis bought from Ulster and from the Republic. This site came up and there is some very informatsive stuff here , which I'm going to get my head round.

Does anyone know if there are detailed military or RUC records of the individual Lancia vehicles which the British brought back from WW1 and then ended up in Ireland/Ulster?

I'd like chassis and registration number ideally.

Thanks

Thank you for the recommendation - ordered straight away. I had seen reference to it.

Do you have an opinion on the other book I've sent referred to:

Martin, Karl (2002). Irish Army Vehicles, transport and armour since 1922. Karl Martin. ISBN 0-9543413-0-9.

It seems to be unobtainable now

Paul

Paul you will see David Dunne's book got a very good review;)

I've only got Karl Martins's Irish Army Armoured Cars which was a small book published in 1983. Yes I see what you mean about unobtainable, I've just done some searches on my favourite book sites!

I'm sure I have seen reference somewhere to a new book on military vehicles of the Free State/ROI in the last week or so. I think it was this section, but can't find the reference.

In the meantime this is quite interesting:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=19719

As has been indicated, David dunnes RUC book is the one you will find of interest. Karl Martins book would be handy but it does not cover much reg or chassis numbers of the Lancia. The new book by Ralph Riccio " AFVs in Irish service since 1922" also handy to have but with regard to reg and chassis it quoats David Dunnes book.

Ralph Riccio does suggest that the figure quoted in David Dunnes book of 137 Lancias in RUC service (1922/23) is incorrect. This figure refers to the original RIC inventory at the formation of the RUC. 67 were transferred to the Irish national army with 70 to the RUC.

Karl Martins book has gone big money now. I did see some for sale not too long ago in an Irish museum for €35. Handed in by Karl Martin himself. PM me if you want their number.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=afvsc+in+irish+services+sence+1922&x=15&y=18

Edited by vintary

Thank you all for your replies.

I'm aiming to find out total number of Lancia commercial chassis that were in Ireland/Ulster and that were available later for sale and subsequent use.

I'd also like to know where they came from via British Army..

It would seem the information is there.

I'll wait until I've Dunne's book and studied it.

I had found the British Pathe clip - fascinating.

• 3 weeks later...