Tool recomendation

Tony B

Just had a 6mm thermostat housing stud go on me. :noyay:The stud extractor I had wouldn't go small enough.:banghead: Fortunatley a quick check on the net Halford's Advance Stud Extractor set. Four sizes 12mm 10mm 8mm and 6mm. £22.99 a set . Bit bullet scared moths out of wallet.

Put 6 mm on with 1/2 inch drive ratchet, one quick twist out came stud rust and muck as well!

:yay::dancinggirls:

Yeah mate! The Proffesional and Advanced range have the same liftime garuntee as Snap On and a lot less cost. The guy at Halfords said they do get some returned with the ratchets gone. I've never had that problem. The ratchets are five degree so need very little movment to work. The best things I've got are a set of Half Moon Ratchets, they get into the places other ratchets won't fit.

only problem is my local halfords is more like a bike shop,tried to get a peugeot oil filter the other day and they said we dont sell them

Gave up with Halfords for car parts quite a while back. Seems they are OK if you want over priced batteries, stereos of pimping bits, or anything for a push bike.

Their tools are pretty good though, have bought a few and not broken them yet.

Mind you also bought a few from the local "Indian" we sell everything shop, and ain't broken them yet either. Except a screw driver, they don't make good levers.

Mike

I have had a professional range socket set for over 16 years from Halfords and it was a good £100 spent given age. With a few additional sockets and a 600mm breaker bar I think it will outlive me and be handed down.

I agree about Mike's comment on bikes and 'Pimp my Ride' though.

The only other thing I have bought are a pair of 3T ratchet axle stands, which are as good as my Sealey 12T, but scaled to suit load. Bought them with vouchers from work so I class them as free, which was nice.

:cool2:

Not really a tool, but my local ASDA is selling Redex half price at the moment. £4 down to £2 a bottle. They sell the one for Petrol Carbs as well as the ones for Petrol and Diesel injectors. Useful for our vehicles.

Not really a tool, but my local ASDA is selling Redex half price at the moment. £4 down to £2 a bottle. They sell the one for Petrol Carbs as well as the ones for Petrol and Diesel injectors. Useful for our vehicles.

That is actually a very useful tip as REDEX is an institution and a sound practice. I once sold a classic range rover and the dealer said that apart from condition the fact I used REDEX confirmed that I knew how to care for my old range rover. Commendation indeed if the trade value it!

Edited by Rover8FFR
typo

When my Series 3 gearbox was replaced some time ago, the new one didn't have the filler cover on top, so I was forced to fill it through the side plug. After trying various methods, which all took a long time, I bought a suck in squeeze out thing, much like a grease gun, but for oil. Job done in 5 minutes.