lock and load on military history channel

sharky

he's bonkers but you gotta love him

Lee Ermy is really quite normal off camera, I used to have long chats with him after filming each day on "Full metal Jacket", He was originally hired as technical advisor for the film but the auditions could not find a suitable actor who could fill the part of the drill sergeant, so Kubrick persuaded Lee to take the part, a great guy who really knows his stuff

Edited by Nick Johns

Lee Ermy is really quite normal off camera, I used to have long chats with him after filming each day on "Full metal Jacket", He was originally hired as technical advisor for the film but the auditions could not find a suitable actor who could fill the part of the drill sergeant, so Kubrick persuaded Lee to take the part, a great guy who really knows his stuff

Ermy persuaded Kubrick to give him the part.

Kubrick changed his mind after Ermey put together an instructional tape to convince Kubrick he was the right person for the role, in which Ermey went on an extended hair-raising drill instructor tirade towards several Royal Marines cast as extras. Seeking absolute military authenticity for the film, Kubrick allowed Ermey to write or edit his own dialogue and improvise on the set, a noted rarity in a Kubrick film. Kubrick later indicated that Ermey was an excellent performer, often needing just two or three takes per scene, also a noted rarity for a Kubrick film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Lee_Ermey

I found a couple of interesting series on Military last week including one on the Wehrmacht and another on the Duke of Wellington, all now series linked on Sky+ along with Spearhead on MoveisForMen that started with series 1 episode 1 yesterday.

Do I have enough slack on the Sky box for Lock and Load? I doubt it. Catch up with it next time it comes around.