Gmc cckw msu 680

Lewis Garner

Does anyone know whereabouts GMC 353 reg number MSU 680 is now? We owned her a few years ago and I just wondered if anyone knew of it now, I believe it was used in the Clint Eastwood film Flags of Our Fathers shortly after we sold it. Any info appreciated :-)

Regards,

Lewis

• 11 months later...

:thumbsup:

Very nice to see one preseved as a lime spreader - albeit with a modern style body. This was almost certainly the most common postwar use of GMCs in the UK.

Most GMC chassis were fitted with Kenwall bodies, some maybe with similar-looking Atkinson built bodies but not seen any photograhic evidence of this. The two below have Kenwall units. There is a very original Kenwall bodied truck preserved down Jack's way in Tentshire.

GMC Spreader.jpg

Kenwall Spreader Ad.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

:thumbsup:

Very nice to see one preseved as a lime spreader - albeit with a modern style body. This was almost certainly the most common postwar use of GMCs in the UK.

Most GMC chassis were fitted with Kenwall bodies, some maybe with similar-looking Atkinson built bodies but not seen any photograhic evidence of this. The two below have Kenwall units. There is a very original Kenwall bodied truck preserved down Jack's way in Tentshire.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55796[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55795[/ATTACH]

Is this the one you are on about? Taken at The Great Dorset Steam Fair in 2008.

246.jpg

Thanks for that chaps, to be honest I think that body looks quite effective. I'm really surprised she wasn't broke up for spares because although the body/cab was in absolutely perfect condition, the engine and transmission components were getting pretty tired. It was a French one and then subsequently had 8 owners in civilian hands, even before we owned her she'd been on the show circuit for many years. Still, good to see she's still chugging about, even if in a different guise :)

The chap who converted this truck bought it from William Galliers, Shropshire in 2006. It had been used as a war movie prop in Iceland prior to acquisition. See article on the truck in Heritage Commercials May 2010.

You beat me to the post Tony, Will bought the GMC's and Dodge WC54's off the company after the filming of Flags of Our Father's. I saw them in his yard when I went to pick up another 352 for a mate. All the ex film ones were , of course, painted in Marine colours and were liberally supplied with the black Icelandic volcanic sand. I quite fancied one of the WC54's but was a bit fearful of the rust which was starting to appear on the bodies.