what to look for when buying a cckw advice

captain jim

The average GMC is unkillable, but there's piles of places where it can cost you money.

First, you'd have to make sure your potential purchase had an original workshop body, not a later Swiss addition or modification. A hard cab is liable to have a better cab floor and generally less rot.

Second - completeness. all mechanical parts are available but good bodywork is expensive.

Third - good running engine, transmission check in all the gears, ratios, and positions, check of clutch, assessment of transfer case noise.

Fourth - check all shafts for joint play ( or the shaft just not being there ) and check the pillow block.

Fifth - check the torque rods / radius rods on the rear suspension.

GMC owners - what did I miss ?

First question is do you plan to restore it or simply 'make it run'?

I would not even consider a shop van type becuase all you are really getting is a van body, sourcing the interior is the major hassle, and to my understanding not a practical endeavor.

My comments are pertaining to a 'restoration'.

VERIFY THE FRAME NUMBER! I have seen a ton of CCKWs advertised as 'rare' this n that and when you look at the frame SN its simply a CCKW salad. Make sure the SN range is appropriate to the year, and that the axle type matches, as does the with or without winch.

GET THE TM. ST-5 and ST-6 van bodies have their own manuals, as do the specific body type (mechanical, electrical, optical, medical etc etc etc) If the CCKW has been through a NATO rebuild you most likely will have had things cut off and added on. A shop truck has a unique gas tank and spare tire carrier, boarding ladder, doors and windows. Make sure the wiring harness is there (to use as a pattern)... Make sure the things that are unique to the shop van are there... as finding them 'in the wild' is an uphill proposition.

Mechanical issues can easily be corrected. Its just a CCKW frame at the core. Brakes, electrics, drive line are all standard CCKW parts for the majority and fixing them is not a deal breaker.

I've passed over quite a few 'rare variants' (compressor trucks, fuel trucks, shop vans) simply becuase of the extremely low probability of actually finding parts like the air tools/reels, the fuel pumps/nozzels, shop tools etc). A cargo truck may not be 'sexy' but a complete, factory restored truck is.

Even today the number of factory restored CCKWs is hovering at about zero.

Edited by deadline

deadline, What i am looking for is a runner that has a van body on it, unfortunately i understand the problems sourcing the equipment inside, but at this moment in time i am looking for one to use as a camper/ enclosed shelter to use at shows with the possibility of a full van resto later on,

thanks for all the advice on what to look for,

if anyone has any other info it would be greatly appreciated

James

For reprints of the ST-6 body manual try 'Pike and the wildbunch' in Texas. I just ordered a copy of the Maintenance and Parts Book for the ST6 shop body, and SNL G-227 (Service parts for ST6 and ST5 bodies) and the quality are A1.

I've just got a CCKW so am a total jimmy newbie... but if you can read.. and you have access to the internet... :D

Good luck with finding one.

JP

Not to pick nits, but they were never called 'jimmies'/'jimmy'. Civvy GMC vehicles were, but I have not found any recorded proof of them being called a jimmy during WWII.

A shop truck is a basic CCKW frame that gets specialized after the cab. Making it run is no more complex than calling a parts shop and buying CCKW parts.

There is a CCKW shop van (ST-5) on e-bay right now that has a coffee shop... you may want to look at that and see what they have done.

There is no good reason to NOT restore a CCKW :) Just be realistic on how 'restored' you can go with the rare variants.