Green goddess regulator blown..

paulob1

Have a look on the "RSOLES" group up on Yahoo.com Paul - ISTR this being a regular problem and there being some suggestions to cure it.

bought me a new one from John...will be sent to me this week, all sorted for next week, will then replace the cables

just then need to sort out my pumps and the two tone horns and I will have me a fully working green goddess...

why not convert to alternator and cure the problem forever

is it an easy conversion, are there kits, I do not like dynamos for sure and with the energy drain on the old girl, electrics wise a high output alternator would be a good deal wiser, then I would fit two batteries and be a whole deal happier...I would like something in the 90 to 100 amps range....not the paltry 30 amps from the monstrous dynamo fitted...

Dont forget to re-polarise the Dynamo! BUT, BUT, BUT do it with the regulator disconnected!!!!

Hmm why does this need to be done, I vaguely remember the need for it but if i am just replacing the regulator why does it need polarising again...want to get an alternator even more now...

Worth doing if the whole system has been playing up. Dynamo's can loose the magnetic feild. But if the regulator is connected up it can burn it out. Hapned to me once so now I leave the regulator out of it. :-D Is it positive or negative earth? That effects the polorization, obviously?

I used to be afraid of Dynamos and regulator boxes till i had to get the on on the scammell sorted out and thay really are so simple and to be honest once they are sorted they are very reliable. Easily stripped tested and overhauled by a home mechanic with basic tools and some info regards the winding resistances ect. Not to bothered about welders as there are no solid state bits to fry. Bloomin cheap too. landy dynamo is about £20. The reason most dynamo systems are changed is because they are 50 years old and have never been serviced and then people wonder why they pack up:nut: There arnt many 50 year old alternators that will work too well either. Just paid £170 for a new alternator for the landy but managed to overhaul a 61 year old scammell dynamo and regulator for nothing but a couple of evenings work.

A dynamo will also charge a dead flat battery (so flat even the ignition light won't work) cos they store a risidual magnetism (sorry too much beer for big words) I know someone who was in this situation with no jump leads and managed to bump start down a hill fast enough to generate enough current to work the ignition and start the engine but you have to keep it revving for a couple of mins while the battery charges or the engine will cut out at tickover due to low charge rate.

if say you had an old diesel tractor with a dead flat battery fitted with an alternator and tow started it, it would never charge... A dynamo will:-)

Any how with your huge toy collection there must be some sort of Battery charger time table rotor system employed to keep everything topped up ready to go:cool2:

I've had a set of old ropey batteries on the scammell for the last few years just to move it round an it really is a pain in the arse. they won't hold a charge over night and i have to cook them with a boost charger to fire it up. But i refused to buy new batteries till it was ready for the road cos they just sit for months and even though you always think that a quick charge every other week will keep them alive you always forget or it's too cold or someone wants the extension lead. Hopefully i might be in the market for some new batteries very soon:-)