what uniform 1985/1993?

tinweasle

Hello everybody,

My lightweight was in use between 1985 and 1993, can anybody tell me what uniform, webbing, berguns ect would have been used at that time?

I'm not really trying to represent a spesific regement, I'm just trying to give my display a realistic look and get a few bits of kit that will fit in

Cheers

Shaun

Hello everybody,

My lightweight was in use between 1985 and 1993, can anybody tell me what uniform, webbing, berguns ect would have been used at that time?

I'm not really trying to represent a spesific regement, I'm just trying to give my display a realistic look and get a few bits of kit that will fit in

Cheers

Shaun

Uniform,

1968pattern to 1985 pattern,(not 95 pattern)

Webbing,

58 pattern, replaced in frontline units by 1990 PLCE (Olive)

Check out my fotopic site, and for the early 80's check out Forces80 site

Hope this helps?

Mark

Hi Shaun. Here is my self in 68 ptn. kit. You can see that the pattern is quite distintive. But I must admit I am lucky that I'm very slim so kit is still quite easy to find although going up in price, especially in larger sizes. Pity you dont live this part of the world, got 58 ptn. webbing spare (hoping to find squadies to help with display).

Like Mark tells you, Forces80 is a very good site for detail info.

Andy.

2010-09-12 Mill Meece Pumping Station (8).jpg

Uniform,

1968pattern to 1985 pattern,(not 95 pattern)

Webbing,

58 pattern, replaced in frontline units by 1990 PLCE (Olive)

Check out my fotopic site, and for the early 80's check out Forces80 site

Hope this helps?

Mark

Basically what he said.

Combat units preferred to wear lightweight trousers rather than combat trousers because they tended to be better-fitting without braces and because the cost of replacing damaged combat trousers was far greater than that of replacing lightweights. Lighweights also dried out in minutes after a get-wet river crossing, drying from the heat in the legs, whereas lined combat trousers kept you wet forever.

In my regiment, combat trousers were only ever worn on guard duty. Besides, combat jacket and lightweights was more aesthetically pleasing than full combats. Remember, the purpose of cavalry in warfare is to add style and elan to what would otherwise be just an ugly brawl.

Re the above,

you can also substitute the lined combat trousers for jungle trousers, same cam pattern and they also dried very much quicker( as per LWT Trousers)

Duty rumour is that is why the soldier 95 kit erred toward lightwieght and layering, when the powers that be carried out checks in the field they found loads of blokes wearing thier junglies, whilst buying themselves the norwegian shirts and jumpers to layer up.

I saw quite an interesting survey once from the QM genral detailing loads of private stuff the guys were buying and comparing it to the issue kit with pro,s and cons annotated and wether or not it should be purchased and issued to the field army. Top of the list was the crap green mug and 58 webb mug versus the 90p thermal mug with lid, and the alloy copy of the 58 mug.........issue kit was on a loser straight off.

Regards

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Other than keeping my eyes open on e bay is there anywhere I may be able to pick some 68 patten stuff?

Cheers

Shaun Must admit most of my DPM and lightweight clothing I have picked up from the smaller local vintage vechicle rallys. One chap had a quanity of 68'ptn. smocks in larger sizes, think £10 each! wish I had bought them and the older wooly pullies.

Car boots, last pair good size trouser DPM, £1.50, two 58'ptn. Para Burgen's £5 each.

Good hunting.