Modified CVR(T) Spartan

robin craig

A long time ago, in a far off distant land (to most of you guys in the UK) a project was hatched to modify a Spartan.

The purpose was two fold. First was to sort out a fuel tank that was less than happy being filled with a lot of water and debris. The second part was to make a more useable space inside the vehicle.

A plan was hatched to bring some "friend" in to mount an after market fuel tank and re position a fuel pump. At that time I was the "friend" with the fabricating skills. Even at that time my credo was "no new holes and nothing welded on". My part of the job satisfied that.

Shown below are a series of pictures of the tank mounted to a craddle that was made with tabs that allow it to be bolted to the existing weld nuts fitted on top of the left sponson. Straps were then hand made to secure the the tank to the craddle.

Once my part was done the new fuel pump was mounted by another, I think it may have been a visiting Terry Brooks..

The vacated space left by the removed fuel tank levaes an uneven floor, to make it more useable, a series of bunks were crafted and a plywood floor fashioned and screwed to it as a version 1. The thought was that if it was workable then an upgraded in aluminium would be done at a later date.

Unfortunately the vehicle suffered a thrown rod and was set aside in deep storage, awaiting the arrival of the Makita cordless daystretcher which never came. Time has passed on and the vehicle is up for sale as is with a spare take out engine to sort the vehicle out. This is what we were doing today, tidying it up before the potential buyer visits.

Hope you like the pictures

Robin

spartan 007.jpg

spartan 005.jpg

spartan 020.jpg

spartan 016.jpg

spartan 008.jpg

spartan 004.jpg

spartan 003.jpg

spartan 012.jpg

spartan 001.jpg

spartan 014.jpg

I also note (from reading the manufacturers guide) that the fuel pump (in its modified position) is in the correct orientation now.

We carried out a similar fuel tank mod on our Spartan, only using a Bedfors truck tank. We left the original fuel tank in place as the commanders seat bolts to it. Not as tidy an installation as yours, but nothing was drilled and welded.

I was waiting for someone to comment about the seating issue. If you look in the 8th picture down there is a steel sub frame to receive the base of seat column. On the left of that and on top of the sponson there are two weld nuts we were going to take advantage off to secure the modified seat.

As for the right hand seat we never go that far.

Thanks for the compliments, it is a shame to see the thing languish for these years. I get work prioritised and I have to have a life myself so there she has sat.

A real interested buyer is coming on the 13th to see her and he will be getting a smoking deal in my opinion as she is only a few hours away from running really.

I just thought that as we had her in the shop I should record what little I can of the job that had been done so that it might be of use to others in the future. Who knows if the new owner will keep it in that set up.

R

Edited by robin craig