Why do Authors get things so wrong..

Marmite!!

Even the ,probably, most famous war film of all time, Geoffrey Malin's Battle of the Somme, had scenes re-eancted for the camera. Also shots are used out of context. Everyone will have seen at some time the grainy shot of a huge explosion from the Great War without knowing where it came from.

Cameras can't lie, but how people use them can change context and perception. As for books. When you read anything written down by another person- even the official acounts, you get their opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, 35mm you learnt to compose in the viewfinder very quickly. And thought about pictures with a maximum of about 36 at a time. Now its just press button take umpteen and dump the unwanted.I was taught keep all of them so you can learn from your mistakes.

That's right, I started doing 35 MM years ago.

Concert photography )heavy metal) in colour, no flash...and at my own expense. It indeed makes you ne critical of what you snap.

Now every Dodo with a digicam thinks he is a photographer and snaps a gazillion pics of himself and mates thinking he's the dogs danglies dumping the internet with optical rubbish. BLERK:-X