Anyone know what this would be fitted to ?

AndyFowler

Hi everyone , discovered this in my late Great Uncles effects and wondered what it could have been used on ? The writing states as follows :- War Department ,Watkin depression range finder , J.Hicks maker , 8,9&10 Hatton Garden London No568 ! My Great Uncle was a tank driver in the 16th/5th Lancers during World War 2 and served in the North African and Italian campaigns ! I would be pleased with any information on this item ! Thanks Andy :D

DSC09507.jpg

DSC09508.jpg

Edited by AndyFowler

It looks like a telescope of sorts with it being a range finder , it might be able to give a tank commander better distances between targets as there is dead ground between the user and target and could probably compinsate for this , just my 2p worth might be totally wrong :undecided:

Having had a hunt about. It appears to be a strange object for a tankie to have. EXCEPT!!!

The Depression Range Finder is a costal artillery, Naval device. So as the original Tank Corps had a lot of Naval input, maybe someone brought it across? The maker J Hicks is intresting in himself. He seems to have had a lot of patents on various technical , scientific instruments.

Edited by Tony B

• 4 weeks later...
Having had a hunt about. It appears to be a strange object for a tankie to have. EXCEPT!!!

The Depression Range Finder is a costal artillery, Naval device. So as the original Tank Corps had a lot of Naval input, maybe someone brought it across? The maker J Hicks is intresting in himself. He seems to have had a lot of patents on various technical , scientific instruments.

The naval connection might make good sense when you think about it......... sea of water, or sea of sand, not much difference in terms of range finding.

Ray.:cool2: