My Former WC51 "Flying Control Dodge" - A New Chapter

Jessie The Jeep

On Sunday, I set the vehicles up further along the field and once more, not in a straight line. Paul, who was parked next to us on Saturday, parked his Jeep inside our display for Sunday, giving a little more freedom to wander, while reducing the chance of the public climbing onto the Jeep.

ushaw_21.jpg

ushaw_23.jpg

• Like 1

This event has the space to take all three of our vehicles, so that's a consideration for future events, as it's also not too far from home to get to.

ushaw_30.jpg

We ended the day playing cards, before packing everything away and heading home around 4pm.

ushaw_32.jpg

• Like 1

Faith at 80 Years - August 11th

The 11th of August 2024, marked the 80th anniversary of the completion date on the build card of my Dodge. Like Hope's 80th anniversary event last year, I couldn't let Faith's birthday to go un-marked. Following the trip to Ushaw last week, Jessie was also a little over a mile short of reaching 18,000 miles driven in my ownership. I decided to take both out on the 11th. We started with a short trip around the village to watch Jessie reach the 18,000 mile mark.

dodge80_01.jpg

After that, we called back to our house to collect Faith. We then set off in our little convoy.

dodge80_04.jpg

• Like 2

When we first moved to Durham, I'd spotted some ruins on Google Earth in another village, not too far away. I've been meaning to visit for some time, so this seemed like an ideal opportunity.

dodge80_05.jpg

It was the site of a former mine and the location of a local tragedy in 1844, when an explosion killed 95 men and boys in the mine. A close look at the railings keeping people out of the ruins, shows a face on the top of each railing. Yes, there are 95 of them.

dodge80_07.jpg