Amphibious Centurion tanks

robin craig

Well, on one of my wanderings through the archives of Pathe news I came across a short film of a Centurion tank that was amphibious with more than just a wading screen, it even had propellors at the rear. It so resembles a Duples Drive Sherman its uncanny.

The footage looks to have been shot at MVEE at one of those "showing off the army kit" events that used to be so common.

For the life of me I can not find it again yet alone post a link.

Just thought I would throw it out there as there doesnt seem to have been any prior discussion on the subject.

And for those who are tempted to say "BARV" just stop yourself, this was a gun tank, I do know what a BARV is.

R

Edited by robin craig

The DD Centurion was 00BA95 a Mk3 fitted with what was probably salvaged screen and components from the FV201 DD, The Cent was trialed at Fremington Sands AWXE in 1954 it was found unsatisfactory mainly the lack of speed in deflating and lack of gun depression.

Another Cent was fitted with 12 lightweight sheet steel blow off panels -it was called inland Water Obstacle Crossing equipment, it wasn't successful. A final type called rigid panel flotation equipment was also trialed as was a inflatable rubber ring -like tyre inner tube was also trialed again without result.

The Submersible Centurion 43BA64 and 43BA95 were test vehicles to give Centurions the cabablity that Soviet T54-55 had as standard. Submersible tanks date back to a prototype A9 which crossed the River Stour in 1940 -the Soviets had already developed the technique on a T28 and the Germans had developed a Pzkfw3 and Pzkfw4 submesibles which were used on 22nd june 1941 to storm across the River Bug at the begining of Barbarosa.

So by April 1965 how far had the British developed the technique of submersible tanks? This is the what is believed to be first prototype 43BA64 which was burnt out during trials during ex. ploughshare.

As a prototype the roof plate was removed

-the dirver had a glazed section in the Glacis,

it would seem there was a tendency for the tank to become bouyant on the nose so a crude hole was cut in the hull floor where the water tank was to stop the tanks nose porpoising.

centurion 2.jpg

centurion 1.jpg

centurion 3.jpg

Brilliant answers on a subject that in my opinion is off the radar as far as the average Centurion thread would go, just like the crane Centurions.

Where are those pictures taken? On a range somewhere? Is the hul in the same condition or has it had the full ventilation process applied?

R

It's a target on the Otterburn ranges- when I was last there it hadn't taken too many shots but could rapidly deteriorate -although it had been externally burnt- and has lost all road wheel rubber. It was very high on Cridgon hill in the centre of the main range. A number of OTA targets placed in the mid to late 1970s were probably ex Chertsey.

Ah, I stand corrected! A floating Cent wouldn't fill me with confidence either! We once were volunteered for crossings of the Weser in 432s and Stalwarts. The Stalwarts were fine, not so the 432s, which could be seen drifting off downstream at a rate of knots. My mate and me excused ourselves to do some essential maintenance on our Cent, dry land being considered the best option.

• 4 years later...

That interesting book 'The Vickers Tanks' contains two photographs of Centurion tanks that could float. The first (page 169) is similar in concept to the wartime DD tanks, with - it would appear - inflatable tubes supporting a collapsible screen. The second (page 170) is said to be the one with rigid panel flotation equipment and, from the photo, would appear to be the one now mouldering on the ranges. It certainly has the V shaped prow obvious on the pic above.

Chris