commonwealth landrover replica

lozzaboy

As stated in the title this is a replica and my interpetation of a landrover in service with countrys that had links with uk forces either through the commonwealth or BATTS (British Army Training Teams) etc, the vehicle itself was a bit of a mixed bag like many old landrovers, picking up a military spec chassis, side and indecator lights and later bulkhead at some point, I was just going to tidy it up and use it as a run around but looking closer showed that the bulkhead would need either alot of repair work or replace it, as I had the correct but bare bulkhead in my pile of spares I decided to swop it and at the same time tidy up the front end as well, when I looked into getting a new loomand what dash pannels etc i had to used I settled on a late 2a military spec loom as I had a spare 6 way switch with ign and could make a military spec dash simular to that as used on my 1961 swb 2a ffr, also when it came to paint the bulkhead i got some paint mixed up at the local hardwear/diy store (coningsby) and as the build processed I thought about other countrys that have used landrovers for there forces, such as South Africa, Rhodesia, Botswania etc so its not a full replica of any in particular but just my interpetation rather then try a exact copy of a particular vehicle

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

cheers mate, got to admit the workshop isnt mine, got posted to RAF Coningsby in april and found out theres a motorclub up here so joined it and was lucky to get use of one of the bays to do the bulkhead swop, still got to work on the rear body of the vehicle which may be getting swopped with a better one a mate has (this one is full of evostick and some lumps of filler) and got the front end all back together just over a week ago so it could be mot'd and kept on the road as its a useful wagon for collecting bits and bobs

for pics all I did was just a afew google search's on things like sadf, rhodesian army etc anything I could think of just to get an general idea of how such armys used landrovers and how much, if any, different they are to british military vehicles (also think I may of seen "the dogs of war" and "the wild geese" a few too many times too lol)

yep it sure has, a mate on a landy forum had some for sale on landrover 130 rims, wider then a normal lwb rim but not as hard to find as a 2b fc rim, mark, if you can get hold of a copy of classic military vehicle sept 2007 theres's a few pics in there of what turned out to be Kenyan army pink panther type patrol vehicles, dont know if that would be any help to you or not mate

Hi lozzaboy,

Here are some pics of some South African Army Landy's I found an a MV scrapyard some time ago. Mark is going to curse me as I had promised him more pics but hadn't gotten round to that. Eventhough here is a military base closeby, Landy's are not so common with our army anymore and you have to look for them.

DSCN0735.jpg

DSCN0738.jpg

DSCN0736.jpg

DSCN0737.jpg

cheers mate, I'll admit it was just ment to be a tidy up and have a handy truck to cart things about in and go greenlaning with but with the parts I had and as things progressed I thought I could actually do something with this instead lol

• 3 weeks later...

nice one cheers for that mate, progress has slowed down a bit as works quite busy at the mo, going over to a friends tomorrow to sort out a rear tub he has to replace the one currently fitted, all the wheels now match each other after a coat of matt black, also took it out last weekend to join a load of other old leaf sprung landys off roading and greenlaning, only prob it had was it's disliking to water like most petrol engine landys lol

• 1 month later...

Benn a while since i'v been able to do any more but things have moved on a bit more now, finally got the new rear tub fitted, had to fit new rear pannels as the rear body came from a late series 3 using the then new 110 light postisions and capping so new pannels where fitted and the chassis cleaned up and painted on top whilst there was chance to do so, still loads of roughly applied paint on this new tub but much easier to deal with then all the evostick covering the inside of the old body, the n/s of it is a bit dented but its in just the right place to cut out and fit a storage locker which will happen next after I'v seen if a army 110 one will fit or not

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great job!

For your reference, here is a picture of a South African Army Land Rover, taken from a workshop manual found here.

Interesting to see they were of the Pick-Up type and powered by the 2.6-litre 6 cylinder engine. Also, they were built in South Africa by Leyland SA (PTY) Ltd.

Land Rover Series IIIS SA workshop manual.jpg

Edited by mcspool

Great job!

For your reference, here is a picture of a South African Army Land Rover, taken from a workshop manual found here.

Interesting to see they were of the Pick-Up type and powered by the 2.6-litre 6 cylinder engine. Also, they were built in South Africa by Leyland SA (PTY) Ltd.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37694[/ATTACH]

thanks for that, wil look at this site with interest!!

Its looking good Lozza, you havnt been buying all the SADF webbing on ebay have you?

Mark

• 5 months later...

Been a while since I'v done anything major to this wagon (still gotta get round and paint the interior as yet lol) I was using the wagon everyday back in December (tax had run out on my 90 and was due to go abroad before a change of plans in January) and it started using lots of water for some reason, before I found the cause of the problem and fixed it by re-torquing the head bolts I had gone halfs with a mate on a old lightweight (or "bodgeweight" as we call it lol) that had a 2.5 petrol and SU carb fitted! So last month I got round to removing the 2.5 and swapping some bits around to look like a 2.25, coat of paint to look like it had been refurbished, but not in the duck egg blue that the UK forces use, so I when for a "army green" from a Ebay company that does engine enamel paint a mate suggested, new clutch fitted and 8 bladed military spec fan fitted and it was done!

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

• 3 years later...

Been years since I's said anything about this wagon, still got it and been using it for greenlaning and humping and dumping stuff lol, but lately with the state of my daily driver civvy landy (Tdi powered series 3) getting to the state of a new chassis I decided to get this one swapped over to diesel to use whilst I rebuild my other one. so earlier this year an 2.5 n/a was found, head and sump off to check over, timing belt done, oil cooler thermostat removed and plugged up. Then painted in BMC green (just because I like it) and fitted and running with twin tanks with 2 rebuilt change over taps for the feed and return lines.

DSCF0431.jpg

DSCF0446.jpg

DSCF0448.jpg

DSCF0449.jpg

DSCF0455.jpg

DSCF0460.jpg

DSCF0472.jpg

DSCF0473.jpg

DSCF0474.jpg

DSCF0476.jpg

DSCF2119.jpg

DSCF2120.jpg