G195 M19 snow trailer, 1-Ton, Saginaw Canvas

These trailers were made in two batches, 1944 and 1950, and I have two of the 1950 covers here. You could make a cover for it, and one chap in the US, I forget who, did a complete restoration of an M19 including the original type cover, like this one; ( the unpainted bits are and original "SX-1", and top right an ORDNANCE Flaming Bomb sign..

Let me give you a cover description, so you understand the complexity. M19 cover are double canvas, white outside, green inside - reversible, and quilted for insulation. Apart from the front and rear flaps which are permanently attached there are two windows in each side, permanently attached flaps, with hook / rope covers.

Because they are reversible, all the little flaps and so on have to work both ways, and the metal flange sewn into the roof for the exhaust pipe ( did I mention they have metal flanges sewn in ? no ? ) have to suit reversible locations too. All the tie-down hardware only seems to appear on the M19 cover and no other trailer.

For a trailer the same size as a Ben Hur, and with a similar load rating (though 1/3rd the weight ) there is probably as much work in making the cover as there would be in making the rest of the trailer. I have rebuilt a copule of M19s, and made one cover up out of straight canvas just to cover one, but would never attempt to make an original type cover, although, as I said, one guy in the US did.

A non-original cover, like for an ordianry Ben Hur, would be your best bet I think

Gordon

M1991.jpg