Ferret Brake Cylinders

Marines42

I am suspecting now that my right front brake problem isn't a matter of adjustment but a matter of a seized wheel cylinder. Is this a common problem? I ordered a pair so I can replace it if needed. Anybody have experience with this problem?

I've just replaced all 4 wheel cylinders on mine. All 4 were leaking to some extent and the bores were badly corroded on all (steel piston in an aluminium bore) I started by renewing the cup seal in one and refitting but that was a waste of time as it started to leak almost immediately.

I am suspecting now that my right front brake problem isn't a matter of adjustment but a matter of a seized wheel cylinder. Is this a common problem? I ordered a pair so I can replace it if needed. Anybody have experience with this problem?

If you remove the cylinder from the backplate and have an assistant pump the pedal, you should be able to see if it moves (handbrake off). Don't worry the cup and seal won't pop out.

It could also be a collapsed brake hose which is permitting fluid to pass but not return.

If it doesn't move clean as much muck out as you can from the cylinder with a brake cleaning spray and then try boiling it up in a can of water. With a bit of luck it should move in which case you can squeeze the brake cylinder fingers and pump the brake pedal to get more movement. This is only a short term answer you would be better having the cylinders relined in stainless steel.

• 2 months later...

If the brake fluid is changed every 2 years then the cylinders should last a long time.

Brake fluid loves water ( and eats paint) so after a while the water it absorbs collects in one spot and then rusts any steel/iron in that area.

It's possible to maladjust the brake adjuster on a ferret such that even when the brake cylinder/handbrake is working correctly the brake will not come on (both foot and handbrake). I was quite amazed by this, which I only found out following removal of the brake drum, after we'd renewed the wheel cylinder and the brake still would not work.

The cure is to slacken off both adjusters so that they are both fully wound in (no thread showing with drum off).

Replace the drum and then adjust the square adjuster first followed by the hexagonal adjuster.

Diana and Jackie