Hi from Chiang Mai. Thailand

Hello. New to the forums.

My names. Bill. i used to live in Carlisle Cumbria, now live in Chiang Mai Thailand. (Long story)In the mid 80s i found a 1942 Austin K2 Auxiliary Fire Tender. GGX 853. in a caravan repair yard in Carlisle. I bought the K2 restored her and ran her for a few years. But due to a house move i had to sell GGX 853. It was sold to a guy in Scotland.

I was a member of the North East Military Vehicle Club, and attended the rallys at the DLI

Museum in Durham. also lots of events all over Cumbria and south Scotland. I was wondering if any knows what happend to GGX 853. I would be very interested to find out.

Pics of GGX 853 Carlisle. Approx 1985.

Over here there are quite a lot of American Army Vehicle's. And there are some for sale, thought you might be interested in these.

Bill.

Dodge Weapons Carrier - 1951

Completely original including its engine , this restoration project will be a satisfying challenge to the next owner. It was purchased by auction from the Thai army and thus requires a new log book.

200,000 Baht. (approx 4,107.12 GBP)

WW2 US army Jeep

This vehicle is not to be confused with all the later imitations. Dated by an expert at 1945 it is a post war rebuild and the fact that it has Willys and Ford parts is reflected in the price. The many authentic features include gun rack, spade and axe. Isuzu diesel engine is coupled to the correct 3 speed gearbox.

250,000 Baht. (Approx 5,133.98 GBP)

Willys M38 Jeep pre1952

This original left hand drive example of America's finest is now powered by a 1.8 litre Toyota petrol engine and has a non - standard petrol tank, rollover cage and ammo boxes on top.

Apart from that it is stock standard, the 4 wheel drive works and every part required to restore 100% originality is available from the US.

You could wait for years and pay a fortune for a WW 2 Willys. Or pay this bargain price now and have immediate fun. The Willys has full tabien lot.

199,000 Baht. (Approx 4,086.86 GBP)

There are approx 46/47 Thai Bahts to the GBP.

K2 3.JPG

K2 2.JPG

K2 4.JPG

K2 1.JPG

Dodge Weapons Carrier 1951.jpg

Willys M38 Jeep pre1952 with Toyota Engine.jpg

WW2 US army Jeep.jpg

Helo Bill, not in sales are you? :-D

Hi Tony B. No way mate. Been retired over 3 years now. Love it. We have only been in Chiang Mai for 2 months. We were in Goa for almost 3 years, but the Indian goverment changed the Visa rules. Making very hard to stay there, hence Chiang Mai.

I just thought you guy's would be interested to see some of this stuff. very interesting reading some of the Ashok/Leyland stuff, on other threads. Ashok/Leyland are very big in India.

This Ashok/Leylands new bus. It's a far cry from the ones running around Goa. Believe me.

Bill. :-D

Ashok Bus.jpg

G'Day

not a bad part of the world to be in. Get lots of MUTTS up there to. I nearly bought one for 60000 baht several years ago but the ex complained, perhaps thats why she got promoted to ex.

Hi. Yes must admit my K2 did not help in my marrage either. Yeah, have seen quite a few MUTTS knocking around. And quite a few Mahindra Jeeps.

Bill.

The Dodge is a M37 and I saw one in very good condition when I was in Thailand (Phuket) being used as a daily driver.

Goran N

Hi. Yeah we also seen a few Willys Jeeps in Phuket, when we were there a couple of years ago.

We have only been here (Chiang Mai) for a couple of months, and seen quite a few Willys Jeeps. A Dodge WC and various other things running around. There is a very nice International Harvester Bus, being used as a cafe just up the road from us. I will try and get some pics.

Bill.

Hi. Yeah we also seen a few Willys Jeeps in Phuket, when we were there a couple of years ago.

We have only been here (Chiang Mai) for a couple of months, and seen quite a few Willys Jeeps. A Dodge WC and various other things running around. There is a very nice International Harvester Bus, being used as a cafe just up the road from us. I will try and get some pics.

Bill.

Get a Dodge Bill! You'll never regret it!

Get a Dodge Bill! You'll never regret it!

Hi Tony. It's very very difficult for a Farang (Foreigner) to buy any vehicle here, there are so many hurdles put in your way. It was the same in India. they make it almost impossible. I think we will stick with the rented motorbike for the moment, and wait and see what we are going to do. Interesting seeing the restoration of the K2 on another thread. When i bought mine it was in a bad state, but not that bad. Not much luck in tracing GGX 583 yet.

Bill

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the link. Brilliant. I can now contact these people and put an end to my quest. Will let you know.

Thanks again.

Bill.

Glad to help Bill! Let me know how you get on

All the best

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. It's been a while. Well i am no further forward with GGX 583. But thanks to bizfreeq did find it here.

http://www.strathclydefirepreservationgroup.org/appliances/GGX_583.htm

The reason i came on here was: I found this 'photo. on the back is written DLI 1985. Thats me and the family. And decided to try and trace it. But according to the discription on GGX 583 on the www.strathclydefirepreservationgroup.org Website. Douglas Currie displayed her in 1983/84 at the Dumfries & Galloway Vintage Machinery Show.

GGX 583 is now in the Strathclyde Fire Preservation Group museum i think.

I have asked the kids and they say the picture with us all on is 1984/5. So there is a real mix up with dates somewhere along the line. I am so sure i bought the K2 in the early 80s. Sadly i have no paperwork now. But when i sold the K2 it was painted green. I have been in touch with the Strathclyde Fire Preservation Group. some time ago now. But no reply. And i dont know how old the museum picture is. Oh well. It was fun trying to sort this out, I enjoyed reading the forums here. and hope the K2 is enjoying retirement. Thanks for all your replys.

Bill.

The Fire engine at the DLI.JPG