Ferret Gearbox problems

ferrettkitt

I have been passed this problem by email and I'm wondering if anyone has an answer.

We have a problem with the gearbox on Nicholas's Ferret. we've stripped it down and replaced the brake bands on 2nd gear (worn to nothing so couldn’t select 2nd gear).

Having re-assembled it, we can select 1st to 4th no problems (have adjusted the bands and bus bar clearances), but 5th gear will not engage.

When selecting 5th the bus bar rises and the pull rod starts to move the 5th gear clutch, but it all locks up before fully engaging.

The adjuster ring looks out of position to the photo’s we took before the strip down. The pull rod is well down the adjuster ring thread. If the ring is tightened up, then the bus bar and pull rod simply locks up without moving.

We cannot see anything misaligned in the 5th gear pull rod, hooks etc. Could something have slipped in the 5th gear clutch plates when the box was lifted off the gear train?

Any other ideas? Can you pass this on to anyone who can help please.

Edited by ferrettkitt

There's a company called CVRS in Darlington who refurbish gearboxes, I had a chat with them recently about my gearbox and they seemed a very helpful bunch

Edited by Toner
typos!

We have found the problem, but not sure of the fix.

The bus bar and al the pull rods were fine, including the 5th gear rod & cup. So we pulled the gar train out again and stripped it back to 5th gear.

The first plate had slipped back behind the inner teeth (see picture '5th Gear plates - first plate trapped.JPG').

We have re-located it onto the teeth along with the other plates in the set, the pressure plate moves forward fine now. (see picture '5th Gear plates - first plate free with gap.JPG').

The quston is, should there be the gap behind the inner teeth so the plate can drop back? If not, now do we close this up.

5th Gear plates - first plate free with gap.JPG

5th Gear plates - first plate trapped.JPG