No 7 set

Chappers

I've been trying for a while to find out if there is a manual for the No7 set as fitted in the rear of a 352/353 but to no avail. No one seems to know about how they are mounted apart from being clamped to the chassis. Can anyone put my mind at rest and tell me where I can get a manual or info about the No 7 set from or any printed info on them for that matter.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

I don't know about any manuals but the French built #7 set we removed from our 352 was mounted on two heavy timbers which fitted into the hollow section mountings, the timbers were thick enough to just keep the the metal mounts just clear of the floor and then large bolts held it to the chassis.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Degsy

I'll get some oak cut to fit under the base supports,as for the clamping i'm assuming they clamp on like the cargo bed???. Is there a specific place to positoion it in the cargo bed as I've noticed different positions,some mounted to the extreme rear and some mounted touching the drivers end!!!!.

Cheers for the reply

regards

Steve

Chappers, there was a discussion some time back about the original fitment of a No 7 set to a 352, and nobody could say for sure that it was a WW2 practice. It was generally accepted that it was a post war practice and made popular by the French and Norwegians.

Does this mean you've found some evidence ?

Chappers, there was a discussion some time back about the original fitment of a No 7 set to a 352, and nobody could say for sure that it was a WW2 practice. It was generally accepted that it was a post war practice and made popular by the French and Norwegians.

Does this mean you've found some evidence ?

In TM-2800 I think it shows a No7 set !!!! used in a chemical vehicle (GMC) Page 250 This is a WWII vehicle manual I think.

The reason I want a No7 set is to add somthing different to my little collection of MV's,I already have a CCKW 353 with winch.

regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

The Chemical Corps used a hoist similar to a Set 7 but not exactly the same. there is a Set 7 pictured in TM9-2800 but it's a retro fit to a CCKWX lwb.

Matt.

The No7 set was manufactured by Carnage USA so I'm wondering why it was a French or Norweigan practise??Seem if it was manufactured in the US then it's an american Addition to a truck???

Cheers guys for the info,I've found #ORD6 J7/9 Set No 7. Hoist & Towing parts list is what I'm after,anyone have a copy?????

Hi Steve,

The Set 7 was US designed and used during WW2 in CCKW 353's. Post war copies were produced by the French and fitted to both 352's and 353's. My Set 7 is an original US produced unit like yours but the block with mine is French.

As yet no info has come to light proving that the Set 7 was fitted to CCKW 352's during WW2,that is not to say it didn't happen but so far there is no evidence of it. There are plenty of original photos from WW2 and Korea showing the Set 7 in 353's though.

Matt.

The No7 set was manufactured by Carnage USA so I'm wondering why it was a French or Norweigan practise??Seem if it was manufactured in the US then it's an american Addition to a truck???

Cheers guys for the info,I've found #ORD6 J7/9 Set No 7. Hoist & Towing parts list is what I'm after,anyone have a copy?????

The French also made/used the Handy Talkies (we say walkie talkie) and the BC1000 so it could be possible they used lots more US transmitters and such.

• 1 year later...

Hey Chappers, did you ever get hold of a copy of this manual? I was thinking of trying to get a copy off Portrayal, but is it worth the bother, being I think just a parts listing ? :dunno:

Cheers, Tony

This is an interesting thread, I have a 352 with winch, on the floor of the steel bed there are 8 holes in pairs which are drilled to run down each side of the chassis rails, there are one each side of the chassis rail located rear left of bed, then one each side of the chassis rail located right rear and then the same but in the front of the bed, left and right, I can give dimensions but not at the moment, also there are 2 distinct marks on the steel floor running across the bed at the rear which would join the left rear pair to the right rear pair of holes and then the same for the front 2 sets of holes ???

Always thought it was for a No7 set but don't know for sure.

Any help would be great.

Ah yes quite right that's why I have bought the hydraulic crane as in other threads to cunningly put in the back, Oh by the way I am not going to cut the bed about either maybe a few bolt holes for it but I can live with that....

He he :-D

Hey Chappers, did you ever get hold of a copy of this manual? I was thinking of trying to get a copy off Portrayal, but is it worth the bother, being I think just a parts listing ? :dunno:

Cheers, Tony

Hi Tony,I never did get the manual ,but now you've brought it back to my attention I'll see what Santa can come up with :-D :-D

regards

Steve

Just to throw my 4 penneth in!

The first GMC we ever owned was a GMC 352, Hard Cab, with winch and set no.7

We bought this truck in 1989 and it was indeed ex-French Army. Although it has recently sold again in the West Country, (saw it advertised in a recent MVT Greensheet) I can clearly remember that the set no.7 secured to the cargo bed approx. 1 foot in, from the front of the cargo body. There was just enough space to store a standard British Army Metal ammunition box along the front of the cargo body, between the securing fixings of the set no.7 and the body's front structure.

One thing to remember - If your thinking of putting a set no.7 into your Jimmy, you better get used to bumping your head on a regular basis :argh: