Use of barrel olives on fuel pipe connections

kosbie

Question

I am renewing the fuel pipes on my CMP Chevrolet gun tractor. A lot of the unions have a brass olive on the copper pipe, rather than the flared end I am familiar with. I have some quarter inch copper pipe and some quarter inch olives, so I tried slipping the olive on the pipe, inserting the pipe into one end of connector and the tightening the other side of the connector which seems to crimp the olive firmly in place and make the union. My question is this - this seems so ludicrously simple why bother with flaring tube ends etc, or AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE? (as you can tell I havent done this before!). I have added a picture of a trial union just in case I havent made myself clear.

thanks

Rick

trial union.jpg

4 answers to this question

My question is this - this seems so ludicrously simple why bother with flaring tube ends etc, or AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE? (as you can tell I havent done this before!). I have added a picture of a trial union just in case I havent made myself clear.

thanks

Rick

Hi Rick,

Fittings and pipe nuts are made to suit the type of sealing device, mainly three types, olives such as you show, there are also a newer type with steps on the ends, for use with plastic pipes, then you have soldered on nipples, with a cone sealing surface and lastly flares. The type you show, has the pipe slide right up in the fitting so that the olive is not right at the end.

I am renewing the fuel pipes on my CMP Chevrolet gun tractor. A lot of the unions have a brass olive on the copper pipe, rather than the flared end I am familiar with. I have some quarter inch copper pipe and some quarter inch olives, so I tried slipping the olive on the pipe, inserting the pipe into one end of connector and the tightening the other side of the connector which seems to crimp the olive firmly in place and make the union. My question is this - this seems so ludicrously simple why bother with flaring tube ends etc, or AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE? (as you can tell I havent done this before!). I have added a picture of a trial union just in case I havent made myself clear.

thanks

Rick

perfec but do not do it with brake pipes they do need flaring