What's the difference between an Arrows and Sankey Trailer?

shatters

Hi folks,

Just been offered an Arrows wide track trailer, can someone please explain the difference from a Sankey ?

Many thanks

Phil

Phil,

They were made by numberous different manufacturers, Sankey is just one of the companies who made them. There are slight differences but they are essentially the same.

Chris

Just make enquires first. The trailers towed behind Bedfords are termed as Arrows trailers and Withams have termed these as Arrows widetrack trailers. Thet are much larger and rated at 1 3/4 tons. The Bedford trailers are quite large really and a military landrover with their low powered engines would really struggle to pull 1!

Just make enquires first. The trailers towed behind Bedfords are termed as Arrows trailers and Withams have termed these as Arrows widetrack trailers. Thet are much larger and rated at 1 3/4 tons. The Bedford trailers are quite large really and a military landrover with their low powered engines would really struggle to pull 1!

Been to have a look at it, looks exactly the same as a Sankey, just the data plate say's Arrows, rated at 3/4 of a ton

Phil

WIDETRACKS IIRC :-

Arrow Const. Equip. only made the Mk.1 - so drum brakes & early draught.

Mk.2 were up-graded Mk.1 ISTR this was to Mk.3 spec.

----

Mk.3 (disc braked)

Built by :-

1. Reynolds Boughton

2. Universal Engineering (South Dorset Eng.)

3. Viking Trailers

4. Parotow

-----------------------------

Unless you are desperate for a original drop tail-gate , you don't want one behind your Lightweight , you need a easy to single man-handle narrowtrack. Get this point wrong and you will regret it , the front jocky wheel is no great help.

They have 7.50 tyres - so you can't use your vehicle spare.

They are more in keeping with TUL/TUM for size and operating era.

They look horrible behind a Lightweight and get in the rough they are too wide to follow through your vehicle tracks.

YUK in most respects - in the main problems getting disc caliper & master cylinder spares.

I have seen 3 different Marks of Wide Track:

Mk 1 - drum brakes, front stand, no jockey wheel and no fog lights, 6.50 tyres. I had one of these, it was a GT, older than the Lightweight I towed it with.

Mk 2 - drum brakes, jockey wheel and fog lights, 6.50 tyres.

Mk 3 - disc brakes, 7.50 tyres, correct designation FV2381. I have one of these I tow with the Wolf.

WIDETRACKS IIRC :-

Unless you are desperate for a original drop tail-gate , you don't want one behind your Lightweight , you need a easy to single man-handle narrowtrack. Get this point wrong and you will regret it , the front jocky wheel is no great help.

They have 7.50 tyres - so you can't use your vehicle spare.

They are more in keeping with TUL/TUM for size and operating era.

They look horrible behind a Lightweight and get in the rough they are too wide to follow through your vehicle tracks.

YUK in most respects - in the main problems getting disc caliper & master cylinder spares.

I asked this question a while back

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16457-Which-Sankey&highlight=sankey

Now I'm really confused :nut:

Phil

I have 6 qty. FV.2361 narrowtrack inc. a brand new one built in last contract abt. mid-1970's (these did not have the drain cocks) - just a hinged flap on the transom (apparently for different reasons than on the widetrack hinged tailgate).

I only have one widetrack FV.2381 , a Mk.3 Reynolds Boughton KK - so OK in period for behind a KG 90".

All I can say is that IMHO the widetrack looks badly out of proportion behind a L'wt.

Unfortunately I know little about the trailers in between (widetrack Mk. 1 & 2)

There was also the odd widetrack by KING but I have only seen a photograph of one (Marcus Glen had one for sale , it had KING impressed in the tailgate in huge letters).

Apparently lots of Paratow around but little rivet counter info. known about them.

I have little / nothing in way of widetrack info. / parts lists (must obtain) .

I understand the widetrack earliest manuf. to be from about 1978 , correct wheelset for Mk.1 - I don't know ?

I was reliably informed that as such there were no Mk.2 manufactured as such - the Mk.1 was subject of so many mods & X strikes on the plate that when they finally decided what they wanted they manufactured and named as the Mk.3

No doubt there will be somebody far better informed about widetrack on the forum than I am.

Edited by ruxy
crap spelling