Withams tender

Big Al

I am hoping to go to Withams on fridays veiwing day (16/4/10) for the lastest tender any tips and advice would be useful this will be the first tender I have been to.

Big Al

PS Any good place to get a bacon butty and tea?

Edited by Big Al

Are you going to look at something in particular or just for a look around ?

There's usually a burger van on site for the viewings , the foods good and the tea too - especially on a freezing cold morning (and most mornings at Withams seem to be freezing cold ! ) .

Last time we went there were some new loo's too which were a bit of an improvement on the previous facilities (like having real daylight to see by.....always useful :-D ).

They've not had the burger van for quite some time, but they do sell some snacks and hot drinks in the shed.

As for buying in the tender, make sure you go and view and then bid what it's worth to you. Pretty much all the vehicles will need some work and don't be surprised to see bits missing or removed and stored in the back etc. Take some photos of anything you want to bid on. Also make sure you have a way of getting it home when you win, as you have to pay and remove the item within so many days.

I've always found the staff there quite ready to comment on the condition of the vehicles, which can be very useful, so don't be afraid to ask. If there's something you particularly like it's normally possible to obtain the keys and start the engine and they can jump start if needed.

There is an ever increasing amount of stuff for direct sale there now too, fire extinguishers, radio kit perhaps, blue paper roll and so on.

Steve

Big Al -

Don't get your hopes up mate.

I've been to the last three tenders and to be honest - there isn't much to make your mouth water.

Seems to be a lot of, er er er - how shall I descibe it - scrap metal would be a nice way of putting it.

If you have something specific in mind - it may rock your boat.

As mentioned, the chaps who work there are pretty helpful.

Markheliops.

Big Al -

Don't get your hopes up mate.

I've been to the last three tenders and to be honest - there isn't much to make your mouth water.

Seems to be a lot of, er er er - how shall I descibe it - scrap metal would be a nice way of putting it.

If you have something specific in mind - it may rock your boat.

As mentioned, the chaps who work there are pretty helpful.

Markheliops.

I still have some of my Withams scrap lying around getting me in trouble with her indoors so you have to have somewhere to store you're potential purchase as well as knowing how the thing will be picked up.

I think that you have seven days to remove you're items or storage charges will be charged presuming that you don't negotiate something with the management.

Definitely take plenty of photos of the lot you are looking at with the lot number visable and also get the vin plate (I've heard some horror stories)

The place is like Magpie central, so make sure what you buy is what you get. I bought my truck and box body direct, but there was still stuff missing from when I bought it.

Definitely take plenty of photos of the lot you are looking at with the lot number visable and also get the vin plate (I've heard some horror stories)

The place is like Magpie central, so make sure what you buy is what you get. I bought my truck and box body direct, but there was still stuff missing from when I bought it.

I think that most people will have had similar experiences and the old saying no smoke without fire definitely applies.

• 2 weeks later...
I am hoping to go to Withams on fridays veiwing day (16/4/10) for the lastest tender any tips and advice would be useful this will be the first tender I have been to.

Big Al

PS Any good place to get a bacon butty and tea?

OK, so did you buy anything (apart from a bacon sarnie)? :-)

OK, so did you buy anything (apart from a bacon sarnie)? :-)

No Bacon buttys, had a good look around at the tender items but did not buy this time, we did buy a fire extinguisher from direct sales. Thankyou for the advice about withams tenders.

Al