Ruddington Catalogues

Peter4456

Am I being naiive, or did anyone keep any of the Ruddington auctions catalogues?

I'm trying to find a Triumph TRW motorcycle, 04 EN 28 (serial number 29381), struck off on 27th April 1977, so presumably sold at Ruddington later that year. A photocopy / scan of the cover and relevant page would be like finding the last missing piece of the jigsaw!

Also my Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42, was struck off sometime after 3rd October 1986. Too late for Ruddington, but had Witham's started their disposal contract by then or were they disposed of elsewhere?

I'm always amazed by the knowledge on this forum - let's see how you guys do with this one!

Thanks,

Peter

Ferret 2/3, 03 CC 42

Am I being naiive, or did anyone keep any of the Ruddington auctions catalogues?

Yes they are collected, I have about 120.

I'm trying to find a Triumph TRW motorcycle, 04 EN 28 (serial number 29381), struck off on 27th April 1977, so presumably sold at Ruddington later that year. A photocopy / scan of the cover and relevant page would be like finding the last missing piece of the jigsaw!

There was actually a sale on that, but I can't see it listed. Although it was the second day of the sale & m/cycles usually are booked for the first day.

I've looked up from that date until 8/9/10 Aug 1978 & can't find it. Are you sure of that date? or maybe it wasn't Ruddington, maybe it went through OSDD Branston or struck off in BAOR?

Clive,

Thanks for trawling your records for me!

The bike went to the 'Vehicle Det, Disposals Organisation' on 24th March 1977 and was 'Struck Off VBT' on 27th April 1977 - probably in Germany, so perhaps it wasn't sold at Ruddington after all! It seems that TRWs were sold off as late as 1980, but it looks like I might have come to a dead end on this one.

Thanks again for looking,

Peter

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

How far back does your collection go Clive? Maybe to 1946/47 perhaps? If it does, I have a number of T numbers which if you found them, I would cross your palm with silver!

John I like the sound of the silver, but I'm afraid the collection starts at Sale No. 37 in July 1957.

John I like the sound of the silver, but I'm afraid the collection starts at Sale No. 37 in July 1957.

Thanks anyway: any idea if anyone else (or any official body) might have earlier ones? Kew Public Records don't seem to have them but their on-line search seems to have been devised by someone who knows as much about computers as I do (ie nothing!) so they may be there but called something iobscure.

Thanks anyway: any idea if anyone else (or any official body) might have earlier ones?

Philip of Dunsfold Land Rovers has a collection, he is forum member. The only other collector I know is John Mastrangelo of Champ fame, if you Google for Champ you'll no doubt find a link to him somehow.

Hi Guys

My ferret also must have been struck off before 1987, as it was privately owned from 1987 onwards.

Clive, do you have catalogues, from withams or whoever else which would show ferrets up for sale before 1987? If you do I would be very interested.

Cheers

Matt

Matt, I've seen Daimlers, Whites, Mk 1 Pigs etc in Ruddington catalogues.

But later it was seemed essentially for B, C, E, P, R, Z type vehicles. But A vehicles seemed to go through Ludgershall. I don't know how that worked, I suspect they were advertised to be sold by tender as I have known of people go to pick out a couple of Ferrets they fancied & buy them direct. I remember 20 years ago Woods in Crediton bought a record number of 432s & Mk2 Pigs by tender.

But I have never heard of catalogues from there along the lines of Ruddington publications. Although in later years the sales catalogues from places like Aston Down did not even give the ERM.