Vehicle Div Plates

elvis

Looking for info on The Duke of Wellington Regt Vehicle Markings . Polar Bear on Nearside front wing is it on a round Black back ground or square , and what size . Also what size of Div square badge on the off side front wing,

And what goes where on the rear?

The Polar Bear is the mark of 49th (West Riding) division. Supposed to represent the time the division spent in Iceland. There are two versions. The early version the bear had his head down.The story is the Colonel of the Regiment, said 'After Narvick that bear has no reason to hang his Bl**dy head!'. The background is normally a black square.

The Polar Bear is the mark of 49th (West Riding) division. Supposed to represent the time the division spent in Iceland. There are two versions. The early version the bear had his head down.The story is the Colonel of the Regiment, said 'After Narvick that bear has no reason to hang his Bl**dy head!'. The background is normally a black square.

Do you know size of the plate?

Normally, the rear markings are the same as the front.

Div/ Formation marking, passenger side front wing, rear tailgate, approx 9 1/2ins high x 8 1/2 wide

Unit/Arm of Service marking, drivers side " " , approx 8ins high x 8ins wide.

What vehicle do you have ?

All the best,

Andy

For general info, on XXXcorps, who 49th (West Riding) Inf were part of, for normandy invasion, well worth seeking out

Club Route In Europe. the story of 30 corps in the european campaign.

My copys dated 1946,..........and printed in germany.

Also Patrick Delaforce's book, The Polar Bears, Montys Left Flank. From normandy to the relief of Holland with the 49th Div.

Are you doing K3 up in these markings,.........?

Love to see a pic when done.

All the best,

Andy

30 Corps badge was the black boar in a white circle on a square background. There are two versions of that as well, one 'Rampant' the other 'more relaxed'. :cool2:

Would like to badge it up like that . No markings on at the moment . Bought truck 2 years ago in Scotland.

Ah well. I do know specifically that K3's were used as artillery supply trucks by the 49th. 50 were shipped immdiatley post war to the channel Island's. Twenty five to Jersey the rest to Gurnersey. One has survived and the restoration brought to light the Polar Bear. I'lll try and find a photo of it.

Some vehicles i have seen have the polar bear in a square and a circle . Also i have seen a Brengun carrier with the polar bear on the Passenger side . And a truck with it on the drivers side , Which is correct . Passenger side ,drivers side , Square or Circle. ?????

Some vehicles i have seen have the polar bear in a square and a circle . Also i have seen a Brengun carrier with the polar bear on the Passenger side . And a truck with it on the drivers side , Which is correct . Passenger side ,drivers side , Square or Circle. ?????

Pretty well all my info states Div markings on wheeled vehicles/and some tracked ones as on nearside, ie on passenger side, in a right hand drive vehicle.

Sources, as follows.........

British Military Markings 1939-45 by peter hodges and michael taylor.

British Army colours and disruptive camoflage in the uk, france and NW europe. 1936-45. by Mike Starmer.

(this does also mention vehicle marking)

Next question, which arm of service are you going to portray ??

The more one looks into this subject, the more interesting :nut: it becomes...............

I've found a photo of the ex Jersey K3, but as it is back from 35mm days. Not the best. Theses are original markings to the vehicle.

Nice pic, Tony.

In addition to 49th insignia,Austin also carries R/artillery flash, the 47 contained within stands for Light Anti Aircraft.

Well, thats what my books tell me. :-)

Nice pic, Tony.

In addition to 49th insignia,Austin also carries R/artillery flash, the 47 contained within stands for Light Anti Aircraft.

Well, thats what my books tell me. :-)

Yep! She was a battery supply wagon. Then sold in 1947 to the Channel islands. One of a batch of fifty. Twenty five to each Island. She spent her years transporting tomatoes to the docks. Then was abandoned to the edge of a feild. Bought and restored by Dennis LeJeune she is now in UK.

That K3 is badged up as the 89th Light Anti Aircraft Regt. I will be badging mine up as the 6th Battalion Duke of Wellington, Infantry Battalion of the 49th Division . It is a brown square with 68 in white. with the polar bear on the passenger side . According to my info.

I command a Home Guard Platoon of the Duke of Wellington Regt , So we want to badge our truck up accordingly

Our website is -www.ingletonhomeguard.com

My truck was sold by the Army in 47 at York Barracks. Ended up being a cattle wagon . then rescued derelict from a field and restored , I have just had a total engine rebuild Pistons and valves . Running it in at the moment.

That K3 is badged up as the 89th Light Anti Aircraft Regt. I will be badging mine up as the 6th Battalion Duke of Wellington, Infantry Battalion of the 49th Division . It is a brown square with 68 in white. with the polar bear on the passenger side . According to my info.

That matches details I've got, to hand, Elvis; 6th Batt Duke of Wellington, were part of the junior Inf Brigade within the 49th Inf Div.