key card info

suzibear

Hi JUST WONDERING IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME WITH INFO ON A KEY CARD REGARDING A WM20 MOTORBIKE ,

i HAVE ATTACHED A COPY OF THE KEY CARD , I WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME UNDERSTAND THE INFO ON IT THE BIKE IN QUESTION IS THE 85419 , I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE WRITING IN RED MEANS IF ANY ONE KNOWS , AND ANY OTHER INFO THEY MIGHT HAVE I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL . MANY THANKS SUZI

key card..jpg

Hi JUST WONDERING IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME WITH INFO ON A KEY CARD REGARDING A WM20 MOTORBIKE , [ATTACH=CONFIG]24418[/ATTACH]

i HAVE ATTACHED A COPY OF THE KEY CARD , I WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME UNDERSTAND THE INFO ON IT THE BIKE IN QUESTION IS THE 85419 , I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE WRITING IN RED MEANS IF ANY ONE KNOWS , AND ANY OTHER INFO THEY MIGHT HAVE I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL . MANY THANKS SUZI

Hi Suzi,

The red letters.........S/O means Struck Off, ie. removed from records, vehicle for disposal. MoS Rudd means Ministry of Supply disposal depot, Ruddington, Notts, site of major vehicle auctions.. Not sure about HAL/1/58, it may refer to where the motorcycle was when struck off. 4-5-55 is date of S/O.

Also......C5118819 was the wartime census number, painted on the tank. S1048 was the contract number.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard ,

Thank you so much for the information you gave me as it is a great help, hope you don't mind but as you seem to be a mind of knowledge , would you have any idea how i could find out if it was with any regiment , as that would be the icing on the cake for me . thanks again . Suzi :-D

• 1 month later...

HAL/1/58 is a bit of a puzzler.

keycarda.jpg

HAL doesn't seem to relate to any depot or any abbreviation used in ordnance depots or vehicle storage depots. I have a number of MAOS & RAOS that cover the period & HAL is not used. Besides I don't think it can be a place because the first entry already states Ruddington. Although the second entry on the same date omits Ruddington, I imagine that was a clerk cutting corners.

/1/58 looks like a date but the formal entry of dates on the card are entered like this 4.5.55. Yet that seems to be an entry written at the same time. As Richard has rightly said it was struck off on 4.5.55, why would a vague date nearly 3 years later be entered in the line at the same time?

My suspicion is that HAL/1/58 is either a reference code on a document that is the opposite of a receipt voucher or it is a buyers code or contract number.

Interestingly the 1955 entries refer to MoS Ruddington, but the 1962 entry calls it WD Storage Ruddington, that was of course because the MoS was abolished in Oct 1959.