Really DUMB Question..

Jim Rae

Question

OK typical bloody daft modeler question, but regarding Canvas tilts, how would one go about getting dimensions of them in a flat state?

Imagine, taking a tilt (let's say the Beford QL for the sake of argument) opening it up flat on the floor. Is there any source I could go to to get dimentsions?

What about construction? Logically they weren't produced in some impressively large weaving machine. They must have been produced in sections then stiched together.

Told you it was a daft question... :-D

7 answers to this question

Well, most of these covers had their origins in plain sheets that were draped over the back of covered wagons back when Tony was a boy 8~)

If you have a look at his Weapon Carrier in the shot above, the canvas is just four flat sheets.

1. One big side to side wrapover sheet, with trapped ropes for tensioning purposes and side tie-downs.

2. One cab cover.

3. Front cargo compartment sheet.

4. Back cargo compartment sheet.

For modelling purposes, just drape a sheet over whatever it is, and let it sag a bit.

Gordon

Thanks, the reason for my seemingly mad question is relatively simple. The tilts on most models are usually one-piece mouldings (or in case of resin, castings) Now they vary from the excellent to poor. I'm toying with the idea of producing a series of templates for several vehicles (1/35th & 1/48th scale). I've also worked a bit with various materials (primarily draughtsman's linen) which gives a more convincing sag and more idea of scale thickness.. :-\

Thanks for the replies!

I'm assuming each tilt was unique to the vehicle?

If you look at the Dodge image above it is an early T222 D15 (Mickey Mouse Ear camo only on the early ones ...) but it has the standard CMP 15 cwt back body, so that canvas would fit;

D15, C15, C15A, F15, F15A, and even the cab-forward D15 prototype which I have mentioned before, here it is, courtesy of the Colin MacGregor Stevens collection;

If you have a look at one of the other shots of the Bedford, you'll see that has been made from a big green sheet just draped over and tied down - notice how the corners aren't shaped at all?

Forget moulding canvas. You'd be far better off with a very close weave fabric that could be draped and painted.

dcmp..jpg

Edited by Gordon_M