What charger for a Land Rover 12v

My Land Rover is a 2.5 N/A diesel. It is 12v and resides in a barn when not being used.

My knowledge of mechanical/ elecrical things is limited.

I have quite happily left an Accumate motorcycle charger trickle charging the battery, as you would, well it works for the bike battery so should for my Land Rover. The last time I used the Landy about two months ago I noticed that the battery sounded a little tired but did get the Landy started. Just the cold I thought.

When I mentioned this to some of the chaps at work various bits of advice flew, after the sighs and guffaws had ended.

They pointed me in the direction of:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/ring/rcb320-20-amp-workshop-charger-engine-starter-12v.aspx

or

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_270511_langId_-1_categoryId_165629#dtab

As none of them own a Land Rover or would use it in the same circumstances as I do I thought I will seek some advice from likeminded but more knowledgeable people.

My only real need is:

1. Keep the battery of the Land Rover (in situ) topped up permanently when not being used.

I do not remember if there are any markings on the battery (I have seen AHs mentioned on other posts) I will be going over this week to have a look, but I do know I have only the one battery.

Regards

SEGREQ

Why not use a Solar Powered Battery Charger, you can get these from Maplins, costs about £20 or less.

I use one on my 90 Tdi Off Roader, and one on my leisure battery in my 101. As long as the battery is more or less fully charged these units keep it that way, and do not seem to over charge them, if left for long periods. I have left the 90 for 4months and the battery was fully charged.

Brian.

Not wishing to be awkward, BUT if the vehicle was outside I guess that it would be ideal especially at shows. My vehicle is in a barn while there is limited light inside, it is not a glazed barn and not bright inside and the charger would not be in direct sunlight.

I guess that it would be fair to say that it would receive as much light as it would if in an average shed.

Would this keep the solar charger & my battery happy?:undecided:

Regards

SEGREQ

Not wishing to be awkward, BUT if the vehicle was outside I guess that it would be ideal especially at shows. My vehicle is in a barn while there is limited light inside, it is not a glazed barn and not bright inside and the charger would not be in direct sunlight.

I guess that it would be fair to say that it would receive as much light as it would if in an average shed.

Would this keep the solar charger & my battery happy?:undecided:

Regards

SEGREQ

Stick the panel outside and run a long wire???

Actualy modern solar chargers work quite resonably in a barn. Obviously the more sun the better. The one I'd suggest is the 30 Watt soalr power station from Maplin's. You can take this to shows etc and use to charge camera batteries. I dread the new catalouge, it alwys makes my credit card cringe. There is one piece of kit you might look at www.maplin.co.uk item code A88JH

• 1 month later...

My solution for leaving my 110 in a barn for up to six months over winter was a Optima red top spiral wound battery combined with a keyed kill switch. This type of battery has an amazingly low rate of self dischard and has worked a treat.

I've always been a bit worried about leaving battery's on charge unnatended.

• 10 months later...

Just a fyi for anyone that finds themself wondering what charger they should get.

I left my Land Rover in the barn over winter wired up to an Accumate motorcycle trickle charger. I can confirm that this did the job and the Landrover started first time everytime. Allbeit i only took it out a couple of times.

SEGREQ.

• 3 weeks later...

Not wishing to be unhelpful, but could you not take the battery home with you when the vehicle is laid up if light is an issue in the barn? You can at least keep an eye on it. I'm not keen on leaving anything on charge or even battery connected for long periods unattended. This stems from a completely unnoticed starter motor fault causing one of our coaches to start up in the middle of the night. If we hadn't lived on site and rushed out to stall it and disconnect the battery it would have caught fire. The starter would not disengage and was smoking like a good'un. Was only a lad then but been cautious ever since!:undecided: