Conqueror to be destroyed

AndyFowler

Just noticed in Februarys Classic Military Vehicle mag on Page 10 that a Conqueror is about to be placed on a firing range and thought what a shame that no one with deep pockets could save her ! Just me being sentimental I suppose !:cry: I'd love one when the lottery ticket comes in !:-D Surely a museum could have used her as a gate guardian ! Heres Duxfords mighty example !

DSC03729.jpg

Edited by AndyFowler

Too little information to give an informed opinion as I haven't seen the article. Is it a complete vehicle- if so where has it come from, the number of gateguards is in single figures and two I think are around Bovington and one is or was at Castlemartin and was a swap with IWM for the previous gateguard which was in better condition.

further there are several complete albeit very badly damaged Conquerors still on ranges and these could be re-alocated to another range, although it is unlikely. These were (assuming no have been cut up in the last few years), SPTA 1 (possibly 2), OTA 2, Tain 2 (possibly 1) Kirkcudbright (1 possibly 2). None at Warcop or Lulworth.

Too little information to give an informed opinion as I haven't seen the article. Is it a complete vehicle- if so where has it come from, the number of gateguards is in single figures and two I think are around Bovington and one is or was at Castlemartin and was a swap with IWM for the previous gateguard which was in better condition.

further there are several complete albeit very badly damaged Conquerors still on ranges and these could be re-alocated to another range, although it is unlikely. These were (assuming no have been cut up in the last few years), SPTA 1 (possibly 2), OTA 2, Tain 2 (possibly 1) Kirkcudbright (1 possibly 2). None at Warcop or Lulworth.

Whatever happened to the one at catterick - outside the RAC Training Regt barracks. I remember it from 1967/68, but heven't seen it since - and no one seems to know that it was there, that it existed, and in fact nobody seems to have photographed it.

Im fairly sure and judging by the pictures that it was gutted inside. IIRC a very early AS90 and some Cheftain ARRV's were going out on the range. It's seems odd doing this, as in 40 years time, enthusiasts will probably be taking these back off the range and restoring them back to running condition. Surely other objects can be used rather than historically important AFV's.

I find it hard to beleive that nowadays ranges require genuine 'hard targets' given that its pretty much a foregone conclusion the capabilities of the ordnance being lobbed at these hulks... not to mention the fact whilst a lot of the targets are indeed turned into 30 ton tea bags, many seem to be for rangefinding spotting purposes and simply rot into the floor.

schliesser92

Whatever happened to the one at catterick

I know Rob Griffin tried to trace it for his book Conqueror but it had disappeared, I suspect it was one that went to Warcop and was shot out, there was certainly none by 1992 when I went to photograph the Conqueror ARV Mk1. Perhaps Bob Grundy could say if there was any sign of a gun tank in 1987, but according to Rob Griffins book there were at least five gun tank hard targets at Warcop.

Hawk

enthusiasts will probably be taking these back off the range and restoring them back to running condition

not unless current MOD attitiude changes.

Steve

Edited by steveo578

I have it on good authority (the photographer) that its not going on a range but is in fact to be preserved. I spoke to the person named as the photographer last week. It came of the gate a while ago along with another vehicle that was due to go on the range, which is where the possible confusion arises.

Edited by ferrettkitt

I Looked at the CMV magazine today and the conqueror in question is the Castlemartin Gateguard 41BA22 which was pulled off the Colchester ranges in the 1980s by a team of volunteers from IWM along with 05BB92 which was fully refurbished and swapped for an IS2 with Kubinka.

41BA22 was cosmetically restored to serve as a gateguard and was swapped for 41BA03 the former Castlemartin gateguard which is a better prospect for refurbishment as a runner.

If it is now surplus as a gateguard it is likely it will be recovered by IWM. No doubt the story in CMV that it was to be targeted was just poor copy editing.