Ward LaFrance series 2 wrecker

42 chevy

While I am finishing up on the Diamond T, I am also trying to make the Ward readily operational. So the fuel pump was sent out the rebuilders, a new fuel filter was sourced and the waterpump was rebuilt. New gaskets for the carb and intake manifold were sourced from Olson's Gaskets. I had to removed the intake/exhaust manifold as I had broken off the 2 studs that hold one of the air cleaner pipes to the exhaust manifold. That fuel pump was a bear to put back in, as any of you who have a WLF or Diamond T for that matter know it is a tight fit next to the Ross steering gear.

I had new battery cables made up since mine were a mess. I will be using a 5 gallon fuel can temporarily until I cleanout the saddle tanks. This ethonal fuel reaaly makes a mess of things.

The pictures are self explanantory.

John Gott

wlf carb and waterpump 033.JPG

wlf carb and waterpump 022.JPG

wlf carb and waterpump 036.JPG

ward lafrance overview cab-frame-engine 002.JPG

wlf carb and waterpump 021.jpg

wlf carb and waterpump 030.JPG

ward lafrance overview cab-frame-engine 003.JPG

wlf carb and waterpump 035.JPG

wlf carb and waterpump 028.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

It is amazing what "fresh" oil will do for your oil pressure reading. My gauge was maybe reading 5 pounds. So further investigation revealed that oil was going to the gauge ( that was good). I replaced the line as the original had seen better days. So after bringing the engine up to operating temp, the oil was drained. What an ugly black mess.....Fresh oil brought the reading up to 30 psi and after cleaning about an inch of sludge out of each filter canister, the pressure reading came up to 40 psi.

I am happy to report that my first water pump rebuild has resulted in no leaks at the packing gland.:wow:

The continental starts right up and runs like a swiss watch.

This truck drinks fuel, at the rate of about 3-4 gallons per 20 minutes. It does not matter if it is idling or at operating speed. So now I know why you guys do those diesel conversions.

John Gott

• 4 weeks later...

Tomorrow we load up to go to the East Coast Military Ralley at Aberdeen, Maryland. My son is looking forward to riding "shotgun" with my friend Eric who will be transporting the truck on his tractor trailer.

I just have one more air leak (slight) on the exhaust valve on the brake acuator valve to tend to. I had to replace the diaphrams on the front rear drive axle, as they had cracked. Sorry, no pictures of the overhaul on the brake chambers as I was pressed for time. The Danish military had added some brake valves (relays) that are in line with the rear glad hand connections. After much consultation, it was dtermined that they control the glad hands to the extent that you do not need to close the petcocks when not in use (maybe they encountered a problem when towing and somebody forgot to open the petcocks), Anyways, the valves were leaking do to a lack of service, so after taking them apart and giving them a good cleaing, all is well.

Orginally, I could barely keep 70 pounds of air pressure witht the engine running, now, I am happy to report, the gauge goes up to 110 pounds of pressure, you can hear the govenor kick in and the unloader valves open on the compressor. The pressure drops to 100 pounds, valves close and it builds back up to 110 punds and repeats the cycle all over again:D:D

When we get back from the show, I will post pictures.

John Gott

• 1 year later...

While working on my Ward LaFrance G116, I determined that I needed a siren light switch. After considerable searching, I was able to acquire an NOS unit. Using the knob as a template, I had it reproduced. It is exact in every detail, it even comes with the set screw. I had several extra knobs made, as I figured other members could use them. This is the knob only, you need to supply the switch. You can use a B.O. drive or panel light switch, just unscrew the knob and screw this one on.

$40.00 USD per knob, plus shipping, I can ship worldwide, please PM me if you are interested.

GEDC0023.JPG

John G

GEDC0024.JPG

Attached is a series of videos of Andy learning to drive his Ward. His shifting improved over time. First shot in January of this year and the last was this past wekend. He is one happy 14 year old and I am one proud dad. Boys just never grow up.

This was shot at the Tuckahoe Gas and Ssteam Association in Easton, Md.. It is where we keep the truck.

Enjoy.....

John G

• 1 year later...

While getting the seats redone for the Diamond T 969, I had the seats for the Series 2 redone. The seats still had the original leather on them and they were recovered in "recycled" leather (thats what the upholster called it). Also my friend dropped of the new fuel tanks for the series 2 today. The pictures are self explanatory.

John

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend I installed the new (recovered) seats in the series 2. Also, I attached the chains that keep the boom from swaying and the 2 blocks that I had cast that the boom jacks attach to on the bed. I studied the Tech Manual(s) and tried to count the number of links to determine how much chain I needed. I had a friend make up new rings that attach to the eye bolts on the body and the boom. I purchased 2 chain binders that had a period look to them. Pictures attached.

John G

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg